Varun is our candidate from Pilibhit, affirms BJPMarch 20th, 2009 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) Varun Gandhi remains the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate from Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh despite being hauled up by the Election Commission for his allegedly communal speeches.
“Varun Gandhi is our candidate from Pilibhit. He is the declared candidate of the party,” BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters here amid speculation that the party had distanced itself from the young candidate.
Varun Gandhi has been in the eye of a storm since a CD emerged showing him making hate speeches against Muslims at public meetings in Pilibhit. He claims the CD had been doctored.
When asked what the party would do if the poll panel found the allegation to be true, Javadekar said: “Let the Election Commission take action, then we will decide.”
The Election Commission had served a notice on Gandhi, to which he filed a reply Friday, saying his speeches in Pilibhit were not intended to spark communal ill-will. He also secured anticipatory bail from the Delhi High Court.
- BJP backs Varun for Pilibhit as he gets anticipatory bail (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Varun replies to poll panel notice, gets anticipatory bail (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Notice to Varun Gandhi for defamatory remarks during Lok Sabha polls - Jul 28, 2010
- Varun Gandhi replies to poll panel notice - Mar 20, 2009
- Varun to move Supreme Court, legal action must says Nitish (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2009
- High court notice to Varun Gandhi in defamation case - Jul 28, 2010
- Varun Gandhi gets apex court notice for poll speeches - Dec 02, 2011
- Chargesheet against Varun Gandhi ready: police - Jun 23, 2009
- Gadkari slams '55 chief-minister candidates' comment - Mar 02, 2012
- BJP's endorsement of Varun 'shameful', says PM - Mar 24, 2009
- Poll panel must act against Varun: Congress - Mar 20, 2009
- BJP shuns Varun, says abusing religion is not party culture - Mar 17, 2009
- Forensic report on Varun's speech one-sided: Maneka Gandhi - Jun 21, 2009
- BJP will not sit silently over Varun: Rajnath - Apr 03, 2009
- Varun Gandhi's hate speech CD not doctored: Forensic experts - Jun 21, 2009
Tags: allegation, bharatiya janata party, bjp, delhi high court, election commission, eye of a storm, muslims, New Delhi, poll, public meetings, reply, speculation, speeches, spokesperson, varun gandhi