Varun Gandhi replies to poll panel noticeMarch 20th, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) Varun Gandhi, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate from Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh, Friday filed a reply to the notice he had received from the Election Commission for his alleged communally inflammatory campaign speeches.
The reply was filed around 10.30 a.m. at the Election Commission office here by the secretary of Varun Gandhi, the son of the late Sanjay Gandhi and Maneka Gandhi and grandson of assassinated prime minister Indira Gandhi.
The secretary declined to tell waiting reporters the contents of the reply. Poll panel officials said they would study the reply before making any comment.
The ‘other’ Gandhi has been in the eye of a storm since the emergence of a CD showing him making a number of communally inflammatory speeches. Even his own party, the BJP, has distanced itself from him, while the Congress and the Communist Party of India-Marxist have asked that his nomination be withdrawn.
In the wake of the controversy, Varun Gandhi faces a number of criminal cases as well, and has applied for anticipatory bail. The bail application is scheduled to be heard by the Delhi High Court later Friday.
- Varun replies to poll panel notice, gets anticipatory bail (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- BJP backs Varun for Pilibhit as he gets anticipatory bail (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Varun is our candidate from Pilibhit, affirms BJP - Mar 20, 2009
- Sonia, Rahul to be invited for Varun's wedding: Maneka - Sep 27, 2010
- Delhi High Court gives anticipatory bail to Varun Gandhi - Mar 20, 2009
- Poll panel must act against Varun: Congress - Mar 20, 2009
- High court notice to Varun Gandhi in defamation case - Jul 28, 2010
- Varun Gandhi leaves for Pilibhit, likely to court arrest today - Mar 28, 2009
- Varun Gandhi gets anticipatory bail in communal speech case - Mar 20, 2009
- Varun Gandhi sent to judicial custody till Monday - Mar 28, 2009
- Varun Gandhi moves surrender plea in Pilibhit's court - Mar 28, 2009
- BJP workers arrested ahead of Varun Gandhi's arrival in Pilibhit - Mar 28, 2009
- Varun Gandhi gets apex court notice for poll speeches - Dec 02, 2011
- Mayawati Government gives permission to file chargesheet against Varun - Jul 03, 2009
- Petition seeks Maneka's disqualification too - Jul 02, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, campaign speeches, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress, controversy, delhi high court, election commission office, emergence, eye of a storm, indira gandhi, maneka gandhi, New Delhi, nomination, prime minister indira, reply, sanjay gandhi, uttar pradesh, varun gandhi