Varun Gandhi CD sent for tests was altered, says forensic labJune 21st, 2009 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 21 (IANS) The CD containing the alleged inflammatory speeches by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi that was sent to the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) here for tests was “not original” and had been altered, an official source said Sunday.
“The voice in the tape was that of Varun Gandhi but we did not get the original tapes. They were the edited version in which different clippings were clubbed together,” a CFSL official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
Gandhi, grandson of former prime minister Indira Gandhi and now a BJP MP from Philibhit in Uttar Pradesh, was arrested in March for making communal speeches during an election campaign. He was released on bail in April. The Uttar Pradesh government had filed a case against Gandhi under the stringent National Security Act.
“We got the voice samples in the form of a CD, a video cassette and a microchip. Our duty was to just examine those tapes and we simply did that and submitted our report. However, we are afraid that somebody had interfered with the original tapes,” the official added.
The CD reportedly contained three speeches made on three separate days in March.
Meanwhile R.S. Verma, director of CFSL, said: “We got the tapes for scrutiny and after proper examination we compiled a detailed report. The report was sent to the UP (Uttar Pradesh) police Saturday.”
“I cannot divulge the details of the report as police have to do further investigation,” Verma told reporters here.
Gandhi has maintained that the allegations against him are false and the voice in the CD is not his.
- Chargesheet against Varun Gandhi ready: police - Jun 23, 2009
- CDs on Varun Gandhi hate speeches have his voice: official - Jun 21, 2009
- Shanti Bhushan-Amar Singh CD not doctored: Police - Aug 30, 2011
- Virbhadra voice CD in a graft case played in court - May 31, 2012
- Virbhadra graft case: Order on charge June 25 - Jun 06, 2012
- Virbhadra calls graft case 'concocted' - Jun 25, 2012
- Graft case: Virbhadra gets audio tape's copy - May 22, 2012
- Voice in recording mine, but CD spliced: Amar Singh (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- CDs were fabricated, doctored, says Dhumal - Mar 09, 2010
- Chinese parents complain as kids get cassettes - Sep 12, 2012
- Forensic report on Varun's speech one-sided: Maneka Gandhi - Jun 21, 2009
- Sonia, Rahul to be invited for Varun's wedding: Maneka - Sep 27, 2010
- Varun being harassed, tortured in jail: BJP - Apr 03, 2009
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: anonymity, clippings, edited version, election campaign, forensic lab, forensic science laboratory, former prime minister, indira gandhi, janata party, june 21, microchip, national security act, prime minister indira, scrutiny, speeches, uttar pradesh government, uttar pradesh police, varun gandhi, video cassette, voice samples