Varun Gandhi appears before NSA board (Lead)April 28th, 2009 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 28 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) controversial candidate Varun Gandhi Tuesday appeared before the state advisory board for a final call on the National Security Act (NSA) that was slapped on him by the Uttar Pradesh government earlier this month.
Varun’s deposition before the three-member board took place in-camera at the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court around 4 p.m. and lasted for an hour. The board’s decision has been kept confidential.
Justice Pradeep Kant, senior judge of the Lucknow bench of the high court, led the board. Two retired high court judges P.K. Sarin and S.N. Sahai are the other two members of the board.
Varun, on a 15-day parole granted by the Supreme Court after 20-day jail over his alleged anti-Muslim speeches, avoided talking to the media while entering and leaving the court.
As the ultimate statutory authority on the NSA, the advisory board has the right to approve or revoke the government order invoking the act against Varun Gandhi, the BJP candidate from the Pilibhit Lok Sabha constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
The verdict of the advisory board is final and if it chooses to revoke the NSA, Varun would be set free with immediate effect.
The law does not permit any NSA detenu to be accompanied by a lawyer before the advisory board.
Varun was charged with making highly inflammatory anti-Muslim utterances during his poll campaign in Pilibhit.
- Allahabad High Court to decide NSA charge on Varun Gandhi - Apr 28, 2009
- Advisory board terms NSA against Varun Gandhi invalid - May 08, 2009
- Supreme Court revokes NSA against Varun Gandhi - May 14, 2009
- Varun's NSA reprieve due to flawed investigation: judicial panel - May 12, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh Government withdraws NSA against Varun - May 14, 2009
- UP govt. files petition challenging revocation of NSA on Varun Gandhi - May 12, 2009
- Varun Gandhi moves Supreme Court on National Security Act - May 13, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Varun Gandhi's plea on National Security Act - May 14, 2009
- Court panel calls for revocation of NSA against Varun Gandhi (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Court panel recommends revocation of NSA against Varun (Roundup) - May 08, 2009
- Notice to Varun on petition challenging his election - Jul 20, 2009
- Charges filed against Varun for anti-Muslim speeches - Jul 15, 2009
- Varun Gandhi gets apex court notice for poll speeches - Dec 02, 2011
- Varun Gandhi shifted to Etah jail for security reasons - Apr 01, 2009
- NSA lifted on Varun Gandhi on apex court orders (Fourth Lead) - May 15, 2009
Tags: allahabad high court, bharatiya janata party, bjp candidate, controversial candidate, deposition, final call, high court judges, Lok Sabha, member board, national security act, nsa, poll campaign, sabha constituency, sahai, sarin, state advisory board, statutory authority, uttar pradesh government, utterances, varun gandhi