Varun files nomination, alleges mental torture in jail (Second Lead)April 22nd, 2009 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Pilibhit (Uttar Pradesh), April 22 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Varun Gandhi, who is out of jail on parole and filed his nomination from here Wednesday, has alleged he was mentally tortured during his stay in prison.
“I was kept with inmates suffering from TB in Pilibhit jail. I was also not provided a mat despite repeated requests. It was very kind of other inmates who collected their ‘kambals’ and prepared a nice cushion for me to sleep,” he said.
He also alleged that he had been kept in isolation in prison.
Speaking at a rally after filing his nomination, he told the crowds he went to jail for the better future of the people of Pilibhit. “I have never killed a mosquito in my entire life, except during my stay in jail.”
“Mere pitaji ki tarah, meri baat bhi patthar ki lakeer hai (Like my father, I will stick to my words). I cannot tolerate the humiliation of farmers, the poor, mothers, and I went to jail for your better future,” Varun told the crowd.
Varun Gandhi had been booked under the National Security Act and the Supreme Court has allowed him to be out on parole for two weeks.
“I want to end all sorts of divide in all communities,” said Varun Gandhi, who spent about 20 days in prison for his reported hate speeches. He has given a pledge that he will not make any provocative statements that will disturb communal harmony.
Speaking at the rally, his mother and Pilibhit MP Maneka Gandhi said people should not think she was leaving them. Maneka Gandhi has vacated her Pilibhit seat for her son. She is contesting from Aonla constituency.
“Main aapki padosan ban ke jaa rahi hoon, aur apna beta aapke hawaale kar rahi hoon. (I am becoming your neighbour and I am leaving my son in your care). You should remain in the same mood for the next 14 days so that your affection for us could affect the neighbouring constituencies also,” she said.
Maneka Gandhi claimed that Varun Gandhi had brought fame to Pilibhit.
“Over a crore people from across the world have visited Varun’s website and Varun has enlightened the name of Pilibhit,” she said. “
- I was mentally tortured in jail: Varun Gandhi (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- I don't fear going to jail: Varun Gandhi - Apr 22, 2009
- In jail for 31 years, Lennon killer up for parole again - Aug 19, 2012
- High court notice to Varun Gandhi in defamation case - Jul 28, 2010
- Varun Gandhi to file his nomination from Pilibhit today - Apr 22, 2009
- Maneka Gandhi asked not to meet son Varun in jail - Apr 03, 2009
- Varun Gandhi files his nomination from Pilibhit, promises to fight for poor - Apr 22, 2009
- Varun meets Sonia, invites her to wedding - Feb 16, 2011
- Situation in Uttar Pradesh worse than Emergency: Varun Gandhi - Jan 10, 2011
- I will continue promoting 'nationalism': Varun - Apr 28, 2009
- Congress, RJD try to sew tear in UPA (Political Roundup) - Apr 22, 2009
- Congress, RJD try to sew tear in UPA (Political Roundup, Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Defamation suit filed against Varun Gandhi - Jun 07, 2010
- Was prisoner using Facebook in jail? - Apr 10, 2012
- Gangster allowed to file poll papers from jail - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: apna, aur, ban ke, better future, communal harmony, constituencies, constituency, inmates, jaa, kar, maneka gandhi, mental torture, meri, national security act, neighbour, poor mothers, provocative statements, rahi, uttar pradesh, varun gandhi