Varun challenges detention in Supreme Court (Lead)April 1st, 2009 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi, detained in Uttar Pradesh for allegedly communal and hate speeches, Wednesday moved the Supreme Court challenging his detention and seeking freedom.
Appearing for him, former additional solicitor general Mukul Rohatgi told a bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan that his client has been illegally put in preventive detention under the National Security Act (NSA), 1980, through misuse of the provision of the law.
Rohatgi told the bench, which also included Justice P. Sathasivam and Justice Asok Kumar Ganguly, that he was in the process of filing a habeas corpus petition for production of his client before the court and pleaded to the bench to accord it an urgent hearing.
The bench assured him of an urgent hearing Thursday.
In his lawsuit, filed later in the apex court’s registry, Gandhi termed his detention order, passed by the Pilibhit district magistrate March 29, as “bad in law” and issued with the motive of political vendetta to foil his electoral debut.
“The detention order and the ground supplied are bad in law and have been passed with political motivation,” said Gandhi in his petition.
In his petition, Gandhi said: “My detention by the state government is to ensure that I am not able to contest and campaign for the general elections scheduled next month.”
- Bihar engineer in Saudi custody: Government to SC (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Varun Gandhi approaches Supreme Court against detention - Apr 01, 2009
- Court declines Muslim man's plea for custody of son - Jun 17, 2011
- Court allows Adani to go to Goa for CBI questioning - Mar 30, 2010
- Varun's plea hearing in Supreme Court postponed - Apr 13, 2009
- Probing threats to CBI, Bhanwari case witnesses: Government - Mar 03, 2012
- Apex court extends Varun's parole till May 14 (Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Varun's plea against NSA today - Apr 13, 2009
- Plea alleging misconduct by Gujarat judge withdrawn - Aug 26, 2010
- Apex court seeks justification for detaining Varun (Lead) - Apr 02, 2009
- Apex court to decide Thursday on NSA against Varun - May 13, 2009
- Rajasekhara Reddy's widow withdraws plea from apex court - Jan 17, 2012
- Apex court seeks justification for detaining Varun Gandhi - Apr 02, 2009
- Adani bail: Petition seeks action against judge - Mar 11, 2010
- SC to decide Varun Gandhi's fate on Monday - Apr 12, 2009
Tags: apex, apex court, april 1, asok kumar, bench, chief justice, district magistrate, general elections, habeas corpus, k g balakrishnan, mukul, national security act, New Delhi, nsa, political motivation, political vendetta, preventive detention, solicitor general, state government, varun gandhi