Vajpayee’s condition serious; PM, Sonia wish him speedy recovery (Second Lead)February 8th, 2009 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS) Former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee continued to be “serious but stable” Saturday, as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi wished him a speedy recovery.
“He is in a serious but stable condition and continues to be on mechanical ventilation following a lower respiratory tract infection,” All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) medical superintendent D.K. Sharma told IANS.
The 84-year-old Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader was admitted to the VIP intensive care unit (ICU) of the AIIMS after he complained of difficulty in breathing Tuesday night. He was put on mechanical ventilation Friday.
“A multi-disciplinary team of doctors is regularly monitoring his health. All his basic parameters, including blood pressure, kidney and liver, are normal,” Sharma added.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is recuperating after a week-long of hospitalisation for a bypass heart surgery, sent Vajpayee a get-well-soon message.
The prime minister’s Principal Secretary T.K.A. Nair visited Vajpayee and presented a bouquet of flowers and wished him speedy recovery on behalf of Manmohan Singh.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee visited Vajpayee at the AIIMS Saturday morning.
After enquiring with the doctors and his family about vajpayee’s health, Chatterjee said: “I am given to understand that Vajpayeeji is fighting the problem very bravely.
“I am very confident that he will come out of hospital very soon. I wish him a very speedy and complete recovery.”
Senior BJP leader L.K. Advani, after speaking to doctors on phone, said the party veteran’s condition was going to improve.
“I was told that Vajpayeeji’s condition was going to improve,” he said in Nagpur where he is attending a BJP conclave.
- Vajpayee's condition serious, Sonia, Somnath pay visit (Lead) - Feb 07, 2009
- Vajpayee stable, responding to treatment - Feb 08, 2009
- Vajpayee showing signs of recovery: AIIMS - Feb 10, 2009
- Vajpayee is stable and recovering: AIIMS - Feb 08, 2009
- Vajpayee's condition improving - Feb 11, 2009
- Vajpayee fully conscious and breathing on his own: AIIMS - Feb 15, 2009
- Get well soon, Gilani wishes Sonia Gandhi - Mar 06, 2012
- No significant improvement in Basu's condition (Roundup) - Jan 08, 2010
- Nation prays for Vajpayee, Kalyan, Omar visit AIIMS - Feb 08, 2009
- Secrecy continues to shroud Sonia's illness - Aug 08, 2011
- Vajpayee still in hospital, condition stable - Feb 09, 2009
- Vajpayee''s health better - Feb 14, 2009
- Silence about Sonia's illness fans speculation - Aug 05, 2011
- Prime Minister wishes Vajpayee a speedy recovery - Feb 07, 2009
- Vajpayee turns 88 amid health concerns - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, bouquet of flowers, congress president sonia gandhi, former prime minister, india institute, intensive care unit, l k advani, Lok Sabha, lower respiratory tract, lower respiratory tract infection, manmohan singh, mechanical ventilation, medical superintendent, multi disciplinary team, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, respiratory tract infection, somnath chatterjee, vajpayee