Uttarakhand BJP’s Koshiyari quits as Rajya Sabha memberJune 17th, 2009 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader B.S. Koshiyari Wednesday resigned as a Rajya Sabha member in what appeared to be his last-ditch attempt to pressurise the party to remove B.C. Khanduri as the Uttarakhand chief minister.
“I have resigned as member of the Rajya Sabha. I have sent my resignation to the chairman,” Koshiyari, a former chief minister, told reporters here.
He has been camping in Delhi for over a week, sources said, to press for the dismissal of Khanduri. The chief minister had already quit taking moral responsibility for the poll debacle but the party leadership is yet to accept it.
Vowing to rejuvenate the party in the hill state, Koshiyari said: “I will work as an ordinary worker to revive the party and steer it to victory in the 2012 assembly elections.”
Revolt against Khanduri has been brewing after the party’s debacle in the Lok Sabha elections where it lost all the five seats in the state. In 2004, the BJP had won three seats.
Party sources said Koshiyari and 10 legislators had written a letter to BJP president Rajnath Singh demanding that the chief minister be ousted. The legislators are blaming Khanduri for the party’s rout in Uttarakhand.
While the 10 MLAs have sounded the bugle of dissent, several others among the party’s 34 state legislators are ready to follow suit, a BJP insider said.
The 68-member Uttarakhand assembly also has 19 Congress members, seven of the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), three from the Uttarakhand Kranti Dal (UKD) and four Independents.
- BJP faces demand for change in Uttarakhand leadership - Jun 14, 2009
- Khanduri steps down as Uttarakhand chief minister - Jun 23, 2009
- Not poaching among BJP for Bahuguna's seat: Rawat - Apr 27, 2012
- Congress demands President's rule in Uttarakhand - Jun 15, 2009
- Khanduri steps down as Uttarakhand chief minister (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Khanduri again becomes Uttarkahand chief minister - Sep 11, 2011
- Ajay Bhatt to head BJP legislature party in Uttarakhand - May 19, 2012
- Congress, BJP neck-and-neck in Uttarakhand (Fourth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Khanduri to be Uttarakhand chief minister again (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Congress to stake claim in Uttarakhand - Mar 09, 2012
- Koshiyari withdraws resignation from Rajya Sabha - Jun 19, 2009
- It may be BJP-Congress tie in Uttarakhand (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Bahuguna proves majority amidst walkout - Mar 29, 2012
- Uttarakhand battle heads for close finish between BJP, Congress (Seventh Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP seeks PM's intervention to save temple - Jul 07, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, bahujan samaj party, bjp, bugle, chief minister, congress members, dissent, independents, last ditch attempt, lok sabha elections, mlas, moral responsibility, party leadership, poll debacle, rajya sabha, rout, sabha member, state legislators, ukd, uttarakhand