Uttar Pradesh proposes equal inheritance rights for girlsAugust 13th, 2008 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 13 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government has proposed amending the law to enable girls get equal rights of inheritance in their parents’ agriculture land, an official said Wednesday. The government Tuesday proposed amendment in the UP Zamindari Abolition and Land Reform (ZALR) Act 1950 to give girls equal rights in their parents’ agriculture land.
The act would be amended during the monsoon session of the state assembly, starting August 18.
Women social activists have hailed the government’s decision and said the move was long overdue.
“In a way, the move is revolutionary. It is really heartening that now the daughters will get equal rights in landed properties of their father,” Roop Rekha Verma, former Lucknow University vice-chancellor and a social activist, told IANS.
Another social activist Shalini Mathur said: “Women have always been neglected in areas of ’satta’ (power), ’shiksha’ (education) and ’sampatti’ (property).”
- Changes in marriage law welcome, says women - Mar 25, 2012
- Activists to protest against marital law amendment bill - Aug 16, 2012
- She battles for women's property rights in tribal Kinnaur - Dec 22, 2010
- Fighting traditions and laws, tribal women seek property rights - Nov 28, 2011
- In Kinnaur, she fights for women's property rights (With Images, March 8 is nternational WOmen's Day) - Mar 07, 2010
- Minister withdraws plea against Lokayukta - Sep 10, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh panchayat forces rapist to marry victim - Oct 22, 2009
- Demonstrations made more difficult in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 28, 2011
- Now spotlight on land acquisition in Ghaziabad - Jul 18, 2011
- Abhay Deol, Neha Dhupia support child education - Jan 20, 2012
- Colonialism's shadow lingers over Goa village (Letter from Goa) - Jun 22, 2012
- We want to go to school, say Karnataka's poor child workers - Nov 27, 2009
- List of bills on monsoon agenda (To go with parliament curtain raiser) - Jul 31, 2011
- Lokpal Bill panel's civil society members declare assets - Apr 16, 2011
- 32 cars less in fleet as Akhilesh goes on austerity drive - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: abolition, agriculture land, education, girls, inheritance rights, land reform, lucknow university vice chancellor, monsoon session, parents, social activist, social activists, state assembly, uttar pradesh government