Uttar Pradesh minister’s motorcade attacked by mobOctober 1st, 2008 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 1 (IANS) An Uttar Pradesh minister’s motorcade was attacked Wednesday after his security personnel got into a scuffle with a mob blocking traffic to protest electricity problems in Chandauli district, police said.The incident took place when state Minister for Culture Subhash Pandey was travelling through Zaleel region in Chandauli, 275 km from here. Residents of the area had blocked a road, demanding the replacement of an electric transformer that was out of order for the past 10 days.
“People had blocked the Varanasi-Ramnagar road and at around 11 a.m., the cavalcade of Subhash Pandey, who was on his way to Ramnagar, reached there,” Superintendent of Police (Ramnagar) Sanjay Srivastava told IANS.
The minister’s security guards tried to clear the road, but irate protesters entered into a scuffle with them, the official said.
“The mob pelted stones at the minister’s private vehicle and those accompanying him. A case has been registered against 21 unidentified people,” Srivastava added.
No one was injured in the incident and efforts are underway to nab the culprits, he said.
- Violence in Anantnag after youth run over by army vehicle (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Protesters in UP torch vehicles, attack police - Jul 16, 2012
- Maharashtra charters plane to send Naidu back to Hyderabad - Jul 20, 2010
- Police made a mistake by firing: Mamata - Dec 02, 2011
- Akhilesh tells SP cadres to stop hooliganism or face action - Mar 07, 2012
- East Delhi violence under control - Sep 03, 2012
- Bihar CM orders probe in Sitamarhi shooting incident (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Five injured in police firing in Bihar - Feb 22, 2011
- Violent protests in UP against Assam-Myanmar violence - Aug 17, 2012
- Maharashtra drops charges against Naidu, to fly him back (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010
- Kashmir valley largely peaceful, barring a few stone-pelting incidents - Aug 16, 2010
- Team Anna supporters protest outside PM house, detained (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Youth thrown out of bus for Rs.5, dies - Feb 26, 2012
- Guwahati molestation prime accused surrenders in Varanasi - Jul 23, 2012
- Violent protests in Kashmir Valley, dozens hurt - Jul 28, 2010