Uttar Pradesh has most tainted MPsMay 18th, 2009 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 18 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh has once again set a record of sending the maximum number of tainted MPs to the Lok Sabha - 31 of the state’s 80 MPs have criminal cases pending against them.
Out of these 31, as many as 22 have serious criminal charges against them, according to figures released by Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR), an umbrella organisation of NGOs that monitors elections.
After the last polls in 2004, Uttar Pradesh had 28 MPs with criminal records.
“After scanning the affidavits submitted by the winning candidates, it has also been revealed that the number of MPs with criminal charges in the country has increased to 150 as compared to the 14th Lok Sabha figure of 128,” Trilochan Shastri of ADR told IANS.
There is an increase of about 17.2 perecnt in MPs with criminal records and 30.9 percent increase in the number of MPs with serious criminal records, he added.
“Maharashtra is second with 23 MPs having criminal cases, out of which nine have serious cases against them,” Shastri said.
To add to Uttar Pradesh’s statistics, three MPs of the state have made it to the top 10 list of MPs with heinous criminal charges against them.
“They are Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Varun Gandhi, Bahujan Samaj Party’s (BSP) Kapil Muni Karwariya and Samajwadi Party’s Bal Kumar Patel,” Shastri added.
Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad also finds place on this list.
The BJP leads the party-wise figures with 42 MPs who have criminal cases against them, followed closely by the Congress with 41. Samajwadi Party is in third place with eight followed by the BSP with six.
- Crime, money power shadow Uttar Pradesh polls - Feb 03, 2012
- 35pc candidates with criminal cases in UP fourth phase - Feb 11, 2012
- 49 newly-elected MCD councillors face criminal charges - Apr 19, 2012
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- 'Prohibited bore guns given to 18 MPs booked for crimes' - Aug 02, 2012
- Tainted, billionaire candidates on rise in seventh phase - Feb 24, 2012
- 128 nominees in UP poll's sixth phase face criminal cases - Feb 18, 2012
- 'Criminal charges against 9 percent MCD poll nominees' - Apr 10, 2012
- Mayawati's assets: Highest at Rs.87 crore (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Many UP poll candidates face criminal charges: Study - Feb 04, 2012
- 31 percent of UP third-phase candidates have criminal cases - Feb 14, 2012
- Bengal has maximum tainted legislators, Assam least: Study - May 16, 2011
- Akhilesh orders probe against former UP power minister - Jun 02, 2012
- Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: Rajnath to Akhilesh - May 08, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh opposition demands minister's sacking - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: 14th lok sabha, affidavits, bahujan samaj party, bjp, congress, criminal charges, criminal records, democratic reforms, janata party, kumar patel, lalu prasad, list of mps, maximum number, ngos, polls, samaj, Samajwadi Party, shastri, umbrella organisation, varun gandhi