Uttar Pradesh all set for ‘mini elections’May 18th, 2009 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 18 (IANS) After the Lok Sabha elections, Uttar Pradesh is all set to witness another political battle, as byelections will have to be held in 10 assembly constituencies where seven sitting legislators were elected to parliament while the other three resigned to contest.
The two prominent winners among the legislators include senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Lalji Tandon and Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Tandon, who won the Lucknow seat, represents the Lucknow West assembly seat, while Yadav, who won the Mainpuri seat, represented the Bharthana assembly seat in Etawah district.
Similarly, SP’s Mithlesh Kumar, who represents Powayan assembly seat, won from the Shahjahanpur seat and the Bahujan Samaj Party’s (BSP) Dhananjay Singh, a legislator from the Rari assembly seat, won the Jaunpur seat.
Congress’ Pradeep Aditya Jain, a legislator from the Jhansi assembly seat, has got elected from the Jhansi seat, while the party’s R.P.N. Singh, legislator from the Padrauna assembly seat, won the Kushinagar seat.
Kadir Rana, a legislator of the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) from the Morna assembly seat, won the Muzaffarnagar seat.
The three legislators who had resigned include Rajiv Channa, Gauri Shankar and Dhaniram Verma.
Channa, who was a BJP legislator from Moradabad (West) assembly seat, resigned after he was given a ticket by the BSP to contest the Lok Sabha polls from the Moradabad constituency.
Gauri Shankar, a SP legislator from the Malihabad assembly seat, also resigned when he was given a Lok Sabha ticket by the BSP from Etawah parliamentary seat.
Verma, who was an SP legislator from the Kannauj assembly seat, also resigned after the BSP made his son, Mahesh Verma its candidate from Kannauj.
- BSP not to contest against Dimple - Jun 06, 2012
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- 24x7 power for Akhilesh, Mulayam's constituencies - Mar 22, 2012
- Bypoll a shot in the arm for Mayawati - Nov 10, 2009
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Saturday's by-elections (Lead) - Nov 05, 2009
- Dimple collects victory certificate, thanks voters - Jun 12, 2012
- EC announces bye-election to four seats of UP assembly - Jul 17, 2009
- Congress, Trinamool emerging victorious in by polls - Nov 10, 2009
- Brisk voting in UP by-election at Mant - Jun 12, 2012
- Azharuddin, minister booked for violating poll code of conduct - Nov 04, 2009
- 'Kidnapped' man challenges Dimple Yadav's election to Lok Sabha - Sep 12, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav's wife to contest Kannauj by-election (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- SP, RLD, BJP leaders join BSP in UP - Mar 04, 2009
- Dimple files nomination, plays 'bahu' card - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: aditya, assembly constituencies, assembly seat, bahujan samaj party, bsp, channa, constituency, dhananjay, gauri shankar, kadir, legislator, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, moradabad, mulayam singh yadav, parliamentary seat, pradeep, rajiv, rld, Samajwadi Party