US will face new Vietnam if it invades Libya: ChavezMarch 14th, 2011 - 12:29 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, March 14 (RIA Novosti) Venezuela’s outspoken leader Hugo Chavez has warned the US that it would face “another Vietnam” if it interfered in Libya’s domestic affairs.
“If the Yankees… invade Libya, they will face a new Vietnam, and oil prices will soar to $200 per barrel,” Chavez said on national television Sunday.
The US lost about 60,000 soldiers in the Vietnam War.
Chavez said a civil war was underway in Libya and added that no one had the right to invade a sovereign state.
Thousands of Libyans have been killed since the first anti-governmental protests broke out Feb 15 with people demanding the end of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s 42-year rule.
Chavez reiterated his Feb 28 call on the international community to establish a mission of intermediaries to settle the Libyan crisis.
- Chavez sends letter to Gaddafi wishing him victory - Aug 07, 2011
- Venezuelan president wants Carter to join Libya mission - Mar 05, 2011
- Nicaragua denies receiving asylum request from Gaddafi - Mar 04, 2011
- Libya on brink of civil war: Medvedev - Mar 04, 2011
- Gaddafi's son to stand trial in September - Aug 24, 2012
- Russia to ensure its two nationals' return from Libya - May 01, 2012
- Chavez to rule Venezuela from Bedouin tent - Dec 11, 2010
- US Congress votes against military campaign in Libya - Jun 25, 2011
- Chavez sees US hand in Russia protests - Dec 29, 2011
- Libyan officers urge troops to oust Gaddafi - Feb 22, 2011
- US lifts most sanctions against Libya - Dec 17, 2011
- Syria should resolve crisis on its own: Chavez - Aug 02, 2012
- Berlusconi breaks into Latin on Gaddafi's death - Oct 21, 2011
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- Libyan opposition forms national council - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: civil war, domestic affairs, hugo chavez, intermediaries, libya, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, libyans, mexico city, mj, muammar gaddafi, national television, oil prices, outspoken leader, protests, ria novosti, soldiers in the vietnam war, sovereign state, vietnam war, yankees