US senator applauds Dalai Lama on retirementMarch 20th, 2011 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, March 20 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama’s decision to pass on his political authority to an elected leader has been applauded by US Senator Tammy Baldwin.
A post on the official website of the Central Tibetan Administration said Baldwin applauded the Nobel laureate in the US House of Representatives.
“At a time when despots cling to power as their people yearn for democracy, the Dalai Lama’s wilful ceding of power is a tribute to his vision to fulfil the aspirations of the Tibetan people and should inspire others around the world,” Baldwin was quoted as saying.
She pledged her support to address the plight of the Tibetan people. “I support the middle-way approach proposed by the Dalai Lama.”
“I strongly believe that the US has a responsibility to stand up for human rights and the rule of law, and I support efforts to address the plight of Tibetans,” the senator added.
On March 10, the Dalai Lama, 75, announced he will retire from a political role but remain committed to the Tibetan cause.
Nearly six million Tibetans live in Tibet and over 150,000 live in other countries, mainly in India.
- Media censorship in China wrong: Dalai Lama - Dec 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama justifies his retirement - May 10, 2011
- Dalai Lama hands a democracy prescription to China - Mar 10, 2011
- Tibetan group supports Dalai Lama's decision to retire - Mar 19, 2011
- Sangay for resumption of talks with China - Mar 10, 2012
- Transparency first step for democracy in China: Dalai Lama - Jun 13, 2011
- The Dalai Lama: Torn between Tibet and India! - Mar 03, 2012
- Dalai Lama won't exit any time soon - Nov 26, 2010
- Lawmakers ask Dalai Lama to rethink retirement plans - Mar 19, 2011
- Exiles ask BRICS to raise Tibet with Hu - Mar 28, 2012
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- A year since Dalai Lama's historic transition - Mar 08, 2012
- Tibetan PM for resumption of talks with China - Aug 08, 2012
- US special coordinator calls on Dalai Lama - Oct 19, 2010
- Tibetan PM-in-exile urges Dalai Lama to reconsider his decision - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: aspirations, central tibetan administration, dalai lama, democracy, despots, dharamsala, house of representatives, human rights, India, nobel laureate, plight, retirement, rule of law, tammy baldwin, tibet, tibetan cause, tibetan spiritual leader, tribute, us house of representatives