US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South OssetiaJuly 31st, 2011 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 31 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US Senate has adopted a resolution calling on Russia to respect Georgia’s territorial integrity and to withdraw its troops from the breakaway states of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
Relations between Russia and Georgia have been sour since a five-day war between the two former Soviet countries in August 2008, which began when Georgian forces attacked the breakaway republic of South Ossetia in an attempt to bring it back under its control.
Russia recognised South Ossetia and another breakaway Georgian republic, Abkhazia, as independent states two weeks after the conflict.
Georgia considers the two regions part of its sovereign territory.
The US Senate resolution “calls upon the government of Russia to take steps to fulfill all the terms and conditions of the 2008 ceasefire agreements between Georgia and Russia, including returning military forces to pre-war positions and ensuring access to international humanitarian aid to all those affected by the conflict”.
The document also recognises Abkhazia and South Ossetia as regions of Georgia “occupied by the Russian Federation”.
Georgia hailed the US resolution saying that the document created “a serious basis for future actions”.
Russia is yet to respond to the US call for withdrawal from Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- 'Georgia recruiting refugees as sabotage activists' - Aug 28, 2010
- Russia will maintain, not build up n-arsenal: Medvedev - Mar 05, 2010
- Georgia tells citizens travelling to Russia 'unsafe' - Jun 11, 2011
- Bomber held in Georgia - May 05, 2012
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russia, NATO to discuss military ties - Jul 22, 2010
- Georgian opposition to sue TV channel over fake invasion report - Mar 14, 2010
- Russia inks military pacts with Georgia's breakaway regions - Sep 15, 2009
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
Tags: abkhazia and south ossetia, breakaway republic, ceasefire, conflict, georgian republic, government of russia, independent states, international humanitarian aid, military forces, regions of georgia, ria novosti, russian federation, sovereign territory, soviet countries, territorial integrity, us senate resolution