U.S. prosecutors to bring charges against Senator EdwardsMay 26th, 2011 - 3:04 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) — The United States Justice Department authorized prosecutors to bring criminal charges against Senator John Edwards in relation to a two year investigation by the government, CNN reported on Wednesday.
Edwards, former presidential candidate, could avoid an indictment if his attorneys reach a plea deal with prosecutors. However, the U.S. Senator does not want to plead guilty to any offense in order to not to lose his law license.
The former North Carolina senator was investigated in regards to money funneled to a woman from donors to his 2008 political campaign after Edwards fathered a son with her.
Rielle Hunter worked as a videographer for Edwards’ campaign and the two had an extra-marital affair. The grand jury is determining if the payments should be considered un-reported campaign donations.
Over a million dollars were allegedly given to Edwards’ mistress and to another aide who acted as the child’s father. In addition, former Edwards staffer Andrew Young wrote a book, named “The Politician,” in which he disclosed that heiress Rachel “Bunny” Mellon gave Edwards a $700,000 gift to cover-up the affair.
Mellon’s attorneys said that she did not know what the money was for and believed she was only helping a friend. The payments were made in an attempt to avoid problems for the then ongoing 2008 campaign.
The former Senator said in a broadcasted interview in 2008 that he never paid any sum to Hunter and the other people involved in the scandal as well as never asking someone to do it for him.
- Federal Court Summons John Edwards' Donor Relatives For Testimony - Dec 07, 2010
- Former US senator indicted - Jun 04, 2011
- John Edwards To Marry Mistress Rielle Hunter? - Jan 07, 2011
- Rielle Hunter dumped John Edwards - Jun 03, 2011
- Marry me, John Edwards tells his mistress - Feb 11, 2010
- Elizabeth Edwards "Relieved" Following Her Husband's Paternity Acceptance - Jan 23, 2010
- Elizabeth Edwards Leaves Nothing For John Edwards In Her Will - Jan 07, 2011
- Edward used campaign money to cover-up of illicit affair? - May 04, 2009
- John Edwards To Give Evidence In The Courthouse About His Affair With Rielle Hunter - May 14, 2010
- Elizabeth Edwards Opens Up About Her Split From John Edwards - Jul 03, 2010
- Ex-Democrat prez Edwards aide demands more info on sex tape - Mar 04, 2011
- John Edwards Splits With His Wife - Jan 29, 2010
- John Edwards ordered to repay back $2.3 million - Jul 22, 2011
- National Enquirer planning to come out with a reality show - Jun 11, 2011
- John Edwards And Former Mistress Rielle Hunter To Reunite? - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: andrew young, bno, campaign donations, cnn, criminal charges, edwards washington, extra marital affair, former north carolina senator, grand jury, heiress, john edwards, north carolina senator, plea deal, political campaign, presidential candidate, senator edwards, senator john edwards, staffer, united states justice department, videographer