U.S. President Obama names Jeremy Bernard as Social SecretaryFebruary 26th, 2011 - 2:18 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) — United States President Barack Obama on Friday named Jeremy Bernard as Special Assistant to the President and Social Secretary.
“Jeremy shares our vision for the White House as the People’s House, one that celebrates our history and culture in dynamic and inclusive ways,” said Obama. “We look forward to Jeremy continuing to showcase America’s arts and culture to our nation and the world.”
Bernard, who currently serves as Senior Advisor to the Ambassador at the U.S. Embassy of Paris, is the first man and first openly gay person to hold the White House post.
“I am deeply humbled to join the White House staff as Social Secretary and support President Obama and the First Lady in this role,” said Bernard. “I have long admired the arts and education programs that have become hallmarks of the Obama White House and I am eager to continue these efforts in the years ahead.”
He will succeed Julianna Smoot who resigned last month to join the reelection campaign in Chicago. Desiree Rogers was the first social secretary for the Obama administration.
Prior to his role at the U.S. Embassy of Paris, Bernard worked as the White House Liaison to the National Endowment for the Humanities from 2008 to 2010. He also was a California Finance Consultant for the Obama for American campaign.
“I look forward to working with Jeremy to continue the great work of the Social Office,” said Tina Tchen, Chief of Staff to First Lady Michelle Obama. “Jeremy’s creativity, perspective and skills will be a welcome addition to our East Wing team.”
Bernard, a native of San Antonio, Texas, was appointed by President Clinton as member of his Advisory Committee on the Arts for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
He was member of the Democratic National Committee from 2001 to 2009, and served as a board member of A.N.G.L.E. (Access Now for Gay & Lesbian Equality) and the National Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund.
- Obamas name openly gay man as social secretary - Feb 26, 2011
- Obama names new social secretary to replace 'gatecrashed' aide - Feb 28, 2010
- Prodigious Obama fundraiser is new White House social secretary - Mar 01, 2010
- White House aide quits over Manmohan dinner crash - Feb 27, 2010
- Obama looking to hire new secretary as Julianna Smoot plans to leave - Jan 23, 2011
- Here's how much 'cool' Obama and his White House staff earn - Jul 03, 2009
- U.S. Senate votes to repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy - Dec 19, 2010
- Desiree Rogers Steps Down For Unexplained Reasons - Feb 27, 2010
- Female staff in Obama White House felt edged out: New book - Sep 20, 2011
- For White House's social office, its all about introducing the Obamas around - Apr 21, 2009
- Colin Powell endorses same-sex marriage - May 24, 2012
- US Senate confirms Panetta as defense secretary - Jun 22, 2011
- Michelle Obama to bring a touch of compassion in India - Nov 03, 2010
- White House social secretary Desiree Rogers resigns over gatecrashing incident - Feb 27, 2010
- Gurdwara shooting: Obama calls Manmohan; conveys people's solidarity - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,