US Congresswoman may be able to attend husband’s shuttle launchMarch 9th, 2011 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 9 (IANS/EFE) Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords continues to make a rapid recovery from a near-fatal gunshot and may be well enough to attend the April 19 launch of the space shuttle Endeavour on a mission commanded by husband Mark Kelly, doctors and family members say.
“So we want to make sure that when the time comes for the shuttle launch, if they (Giffords family) decide to take her there, that she will be ready to participate in that activity,” Gerard Francisco, a doctor who is overseeing the lawmaker’s rehab at TIRR Memorial Hermann hospital in Houston, said Tuesday on CBS television’s “The Early Show”.
The 40-year-old Arizona Democrat was among 13 people wounded in a Jan 8 attack on a gathering in front of a supermarket in Tucson. Six people were killed, including a federal judge and a girl of nine.
Since she was moved to TIRR Jan 21, Giffords has shown “miraculous” signs of recovery, especially through music, even singing “Happy Birthday” to her husband and the pop tune “American Pie” together with a friend of the family.
Nurse Tracy Culbert, who cared for Giffords in the first days after the shooting, travelled to Houston last weekend to visit the congresswoman.
“We ate lunch together and she was super excited. We gave each other a big hug and held hands,” Culbert told reporters afterward.
Doctors expect that Giffords, who wears a protective helmet since she still lacks part of her skull, will undergo another operation to repair the cranial damage, though no date for the procedure has yet been scheduled.
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords speaking, but has no memory of being shot - Mar 12, 2011
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords moved to rehab center in 'good' condition - Jan 27, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords recovering from her skull wound - May 19, 2011
- Rep. Gabrielle Giffords to be released from hospital on Friday - Jan 20, 2011
- Former US Congresswoman's shooter pleads guilty - Aug 08, 2012
- Shot US Congresswoman Giffords now able to walk and speak - Mar 25, 2011
- U.S. Rep. Giffords departs to Houston for rehab after surviving attack - Jan 22, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords in Good Condition Transfers to Rehab Center - Jan 27, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords is in good condition so transferred to rehab center - Jan 27, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords successfully transferred to rehab in Texas - Jan 22, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords to undergo intensive therapy - Oct 24, 2011
- US Congresswoman to resign - Jan 23, 2012
- Shot congresswoman Giffords to move to Texas rehabilitation clinic - Jan 20, 2011
- U. S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Expected To Be Released On Friday - Jan 20, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords Arrives At Texas Medical Center On Friday - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,