US Congress votes against military campaign in LibyaJune 25th, 2011 - 3:30 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The House of Representatives of the US Congress voted down Friday a resolution authorising a military campaign in Libya.Lawmakers rejected the resolution by a vote of 295 to 123, challenging the efforts of President Barack Obama to go ahead with operations in Libya.
US lawmakers have repeatedly expressed their dissatisfaction with Obama’s violation of the War Powers Resolution, a Vietnam-era law that restricts the presidential power of unleashing war without Congress’s permission.
However the White House said it did not need the approval of Congress since the US had not been involved in hostilities in Libya, but only funded the operation.
Libya has been rocked with protests against leader Muammar Gaddafi since mid-February. The international military operation Unified Protector began March 19 following a UN resolution.
Fourteen of the 28 NATO countries are taking part in the Libyan military campaign, which includes air strikes, a no-fly zone and naval enforcement of an arms embargo in response to attacks on civilians.
- NATO campaign aimed at ousting Gaddafi - Russian NATO envoy - May 25, 2011
- NATO extends mission in Libya - Jun 01, 2011
- NATO air strikes in Tripoli kill 19 civilians: Libyan TV - May 25, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- Western forces breaching UN resolution on Libya: Russian envoy - Apr 18, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council to discuss conflict settlement in Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- French warplanes destroy Gaddafi's command centre - Mar 29, 2011
- Russia, China to cooperate on Middle East, North Africa - May 06, 2011
- Moscow alarmed over NATO's disproportionate use of force in Libya - Jun 05, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- US will not put ground forces in Libya, says Obama - Mar 26, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- Putin likens UN Libya resolution to crusade call - Mar 22, 2011
- Libyan rebels sell weapons to Al Qaeda: Report - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: arms embargo, barack obama, civilians, congress votes, dissatisfaction, fly zone, hostilities, house of representatives, lawmakers, libya, march 19, military campaign, military operation, muammar gaddafi, nato countries, protests, ria novosti, us congress, war powers resolution, white house