US commerce secretary steps down after car crashesJune 22nd, 2012 - 5:22 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 22 (IANS) US Commerce Secretary John Bryson has resigned after being involved in a traffic accident when he suffered a seizure. President Barack Obama praised him as an effective leader, according to the White House.
Bryson was being investigated for his role in two car crashes including a hit-and-run accident, near his Los Angeles-area home June 9, Xinhua reported.
“Last night I accepted the resignation of John Bryson as Secretary of the Department of Commerce. I want to extend my deepest thanks and appreciation to John for his service over the past months, and wish him and his family the very best,” Obama said in a statement Thursday.
“As Secretary, John fought tirelessly for our nation’s businesses and workers, helping to bolster our exports and promote American manufacturing and products at home and abroad,” Obama said.
“John has proven himself an effective and distinguished leader throughout his career in both the public and private sectors, from his success in the business world to his work leading on issues in the renewable energy industry,” he added.
“I am grateful that he brought that invaluable experience and expertise to my administration, and am pleased that he has agreed to continue supporting our efforts to strengthen the economy and create good jobs by serving as a member of my Export Council going forward,” Obama said.
–Ind-Asian News Service
- High tariffs will harm India-US business ties: US commerce secretary - Mar 26, 2012
- US firms keen to invest in India's infrastructure projects - Mar 27, 2012
- US to intensify exports to India, China - Dec 16, 2011
- US trade mission to explore business, lure Indian investment - Mar 21, 2012
- US hopes to draw 100 mn visitors annually by 2021 - May 11, 2012
- India has vast win-win commercial potential, says US - Apr 13, 2012
- India takes up visa rejection issue with US - Mar 26, 2012
- US to focus on business abroad - like India, China - Feb 22, 2012
- 4.5-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 02, 2011
- US sets up panel to probe unfair trade practices - Feb 29, 2012
- US to help India develop clean energy projects - Mar 26, 2012
- China to open more sectors to foreign investors - Dec 30, 2011
- Indian-American father-son duo quits Obama Administration - Feb 01, 2012
- Unbalanced recovery better than balanced recession: China - Nov 21, 2011
- Ghulam Ali to perform at 'Sa Re Ga..' finale - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: asian news, barack obama, business world, car crashes, commerce secretary, department of commerce, economy, effective leader, export council, invaluable experience, john bryson, news service, public and private sectors, renewable energy industry, resignation, secretary of the department of commerce, seizure, traffic accident, white house, xinhua