US brewer sorry, says it’s renaming ‘Kali-Ma’ beerMay 15th, 2012 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 15 (IANS) A US brewer says it is “scrambling” to rename its new beer “Kali-ma”, after the Hindu goddess Kali, following an outpouring of criticism from Hindus with the issue being raised in the Indian parliament.
The label of the beer made by Burnside Brewing Company in Portland, Oregon, featured the four-armed goddess Kali standing among three severed heads.
“In response to pleas from the Hindu community we have decided to postpone the limited release of ‘Kali-ma’ our imperial wheat ale flavoured with Indian spices and Scotch-Bonnet peppers,” the company said in a statement on its Facebook page.
“It is NEVER our intention at Burnside to offend or alienate any race, creed, religion or sexual orientation, the company,” it said.
Burnside Brewing owners said they got the idea from the movie “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”, where Jones is forced to drink a potion called “the black sleep of Kali Ma” that puts him into a trance.
“The inspiration for the beer label simply came from a favourite childhood movie in the ‘Indiana Jones’ series and we were unaware that it could be offensive to anyone.”
The brewer said it was “currently scrambling to re-name the beer and intend to release it soon afterwards”.
“To those who have been patiently waiting, we humbly ask that you wait just a little longer and to anyone we have offended we sincerely apologise,” it said.
The issue was raised in India’s upper house Tuesday with the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanding that the government immediately summon the US ambassador as the religious feelings of Hindus were being hurt.
BJP MP Ravi Shankar Prasad said: “The UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government claims good relations with the US… Is there no manufacturing code there.”
“Can they show the god of any other faith like this.”
The BJP member asked the government to “summon the American ambassador” immediately.
Responding to the demand, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said he would “inform the external affairs minister (S.M. Krishna) immediately”.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Summon US envoy over 'Kali-Ma' beer, says BJP - May 15, 2012
- 'Kali was always worshipped with liquor' - May 27, 2012
- US brewery angers Wiccan community with Witch's Wit label - Oct 29, 2010
- Beer gets makeover in Oz with infusion of different flavours - Mar 01, 2011
- Perturbed Hindus ask for immediate recall of "Kali Mints" - Jun 01, 2010
- Now, flavoured beer hits Indian market - Jul 11, 2012
- Hindus upset over trivialization of their gods in an Hollywood TV episode - Apr 24, 2010
- Dutch brewer beats Scottish company to claim world's strongest beer title - Jul 30, 2010
- Hindu groups condemn bikinis with images of Hindu goddess - May 08, 2011
- Homebrew Kits To Accelerate The Process Of Homebrewing - Jan 11, 2011
- Scottish brewer Brewdog have made the strongest Beer in the word - 'The End of History' - Jul 23, 2010
- Beer-brewing yeast found - Aug 24, 2011
- Where arms and not Durga idols are worshipped - Oct 16, 2010
- British firm brews world's strongest beer - Jul 23, 2010
- UK firm creates 'world's strongest beer' with 41 per cent ale - Feb 17, 2010
Tags: alliance government, american ambassador, beer label, burnside, hindu community, hindu goddess, hindus, indian parliament, indian spices, indiana jones and the temple of doom, indiana jones series, progressive alliance, race creed, ravi shankar, ravi shankar prasad, religious feelings, scotch bonnet peppers, sexual orientation, temple of doom, wheat ale