Uproar over corruption, Rajya Sabha adjourned twice (Lead)August 23rd, 2011 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) The Rajya Sabha was adjourned twice Tuesday as the opposition insisted on a discussion on corruption.
The upper house saw two adjournments, first till 12 noon and then till 2 p.m., as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) vociferously took up its demand.
The main opposition party had earlier submitted a notice for adjournment of the question hour for this discussion.
As soon as the upper house met, members of the BJP, which had submitted a notice to suspend the question hour and take up the discussion, were up on their feet insisting on their demand. Ruling party members tried to counter the opposition by shouting slogans demanding the question hour proceed.
Repeated pleas from Chairman Hamid Ansari for raising the issue after question hour went unheard and the house was adjourned till 12 noon.
When the upper house met after the disruption, opposition members were once again on their feet.
The government assured the members that the discussion woud be held at 2 p.m., but the opposition refused to be pacified.
“We have kept a discussion for 2 p.m.,” Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla assured the opposition members.
But the members continued to raise their pitch.
“The main opposition party is trying to run away from discussion,” Shukla said.
As opposition members continued the uproar, deputy chairman K. Rahman Khan adjourned the house till 2 p.m.
The BJP’s insistence on a discussion came as Anna Hazare’s fast for a stronger Lokpal bill entered day eight.
- Hazare protest stalls parliament - Aug 23, 2011
- Hazare protest stalls parliament, no business done (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- BJP wants corruption discussion, Rajya Sabha adjourned - Aug 23, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned after opposition ruckus - Aug 02, 2011
- Parliament again disrupted over coal saga (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over cash-for-vote scam - Sep 08, 2011
- Assam violence leads to uproar, parliament adjourned till noon (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- BJP presses for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned till Thursday (Third Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day - Sep 06, 2011
- Rajya Sabha disrupted over cash-for-votes scandal - Mar 22, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day - Nov 24, 2011
- Rajya Sabha disrupted over weavers, Tamil Nadu road (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till 12 - Aug 10, 2011
- Telangana issue stalls parliament as MPs unite (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: adjournment, anna hazare, ansari, bharatiya janata party, bjp, deputy chairman, disruption, insistence, main opposition party, minister of state, New Delhi, opposition members, parliamentary affairs, party members, rajiv shukla, rajya sabha, ruling party, slogans, upper house, uproar