Uproar in Lok Sabha over minister’s Air India remarksMay 15th, 2012 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) The Lok Sabha Tuesday witnessed an uproar, leading to an adjournment, over Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh’s media remarks on the Air India pilots’ strike, as members wanted him to answer their queries in the house.
As Speaker Meira Kumar’s attempts to pacify the agitated members from the left parties and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) did not succeed, she adjourn the house at around 12.20 p.m. till 2 p.m.
The issue was raised by Communist Party of India leader Gurudas Dasgupta, whowanted the minister to apprise the house on the situation prevailing in Air India in view of the pilots’ strike.
However, the minister was not present in the house, resulting in other members from opposition parties, including Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj (Bharatiya Janata Party) raising the issue.
At one point, Sushma Swaraj was heard saying Ajit Singh’s interviews to the media and bytes to television news channels on policy matters relating to civil aviation when parliament is in session amounted to privilege breach.
As more members sought a direction to the government from the chair to bring the minister to the house to reply to their queries, the speaker said it was not possible, as the zero hour was in progress.
This did not cut much ice with the opposition, who continued with their demand, resulting in noisy scenes and the journment of the house.
- Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip Meira Kumar's tea party - Sep 08, 2011
- MPs outraged over Anna's remarks, Lok Sabha adjourned (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Hazare protest stalls parliament, no business done (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Hazare protest stalls parliament - Aug 23, 2011
- My comments were distorted, says Pranab - Aug 25, 2011
- AI's contingency plan in place, only one flight cancelled - May 16, 2012
- Bansal faces opposition attack over shop allotment scam (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2011
- Congress MPs add to Telangana chorus, Lok Sabha disrupted (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2011
- PM to make statement on Wiki expose, Lok Sabha adjourned (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned after opposition angers Pranab - May 10, 2012
- Stormy start to parliament, 8 Congress MPs suspended (Roundup) - Apr 24, 2012
- Day 3 in Parliament: No work, logjam on over price rise, Telangana - Nov 24, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned over Telangana - Apr 30, 2012
- MPs outraged over Team Anna's remarks, Lok Sabha adjourned (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Ruckus in Maharashtra assembly over auditor's report - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: air india, ajit singh, bharatiya janata party, civil aviation, communist party of india, dasgupta, gurudas, india leader, leader of opposition, left parties, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, news channels, noisy scenes, opposition parties, pilots strike, policy matters, s media, uproar, zero hour