Uproar in Lok Sabha over Chidambaram’s role in telecom dealMay 8th, 2012 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was briefly adjourned Tuesday with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) seeking a reply from the government on the role of Home Minister P. Chidambaram, who is alleged to have helped his son get financial benefits in a telecom deal when he was the finance minister in 2006.
As soon as members assembled in the morning, some BJP frontbenchers rose to protest, demanding suspension of question hour to discuss the issue.
Some BJP MPs staged protests near Speaker Meira Kumar’s podium and disrupted the crucial question hour.
The speaker first tried to restore peace in the house asking protesting MPs to go back to their seats. As the MPs intensified their protests, Meira Kumar adjourned the house till noon.
Opposition MPs cited Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy’s allegations that Chidambaram had delayed permission for the sale of Aircel to Malaysia-based Maxis in 2006 when he was finance minister so that his son, Karthi, was financially benefited.
“The BJP is going to raise the matter very seriously in both the houses. The government is not coming with true facts pertaining to the deliberate delays in the Aircel-Mexis deal because of the interest of then finance minister. We want a reply from the government in parliament,” said BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad.
He said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is being misused and the investigative agency wants to put it on the backburner.
- Parliament disrupted, opposition targets Chidambaram (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Now opposition guns for Chidambaram, Lok Sabha disrupted - Apr 27, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Fourth Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned as Chidambaram denies corruption charge (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Chidambaram invokes Jesus to deny corruption charges (Third Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Chidambaram invokes Jesus to deny corruption charges (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- BJP appears keen to go for Chidambaram's jugular - May 11, 2012
- Congress defends Chidambaram, slams BJP for sensationalism - May 10, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned, BJP cries foul - May 22, 2012
- Chidambaram's statement fails to convince BJP - May 10, 2012
- Government says no wrongdoing in clearing Aircel-Maxis deal (Second Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned after opposition angers Pranab - May 10, 2012
- Bail not end of 2G, more accused soon, says BJP (Lead) - May 15, 2012
Tags: aircel, backburner, bharatiya janata party, cbi, central bureau of investigation, finance minister, home minister, investigative agency, Lok Sabha, maxis, meira kumar, opposition mps, p chidambaram, party chief, prasad, ravi shankar, swamy, telecom deal, true facts, uproar