UPCC chief wants utility before loyalty from cadresSeptember 11th, 2012 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 11 (IANS) The new president of the Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee (UPCC) Nirmal Khatri Tuesday told party workers and leaders that loyalty to the party was no longer enough.
“While loyality to the party is a must, leaders will now have to prove their utility as well,” he said.
Khatri also hinted at a reorganisation in the state Congress and said that party workers should focus on meeting people, listening to them and raising their problems at the right forums.
The UPCC was being divided into eight zones, he said. Zonal heads would be required to infuse young blood into the party ranks, he added.
Addressing party workers, he said: “Workers toil for the party at the grassroot level and keep our flag high. In return they only want respect and time to be heard by leaders.”
He said the Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh had failed to live up to the expectations of the people. He exhorted Congress workers to ensure maximum seats in the Lok Sabha 2014 polls.
Khatri was appointed UPCC president, replacing Rita Bahuguna Joshi, Aug 28.
Joshi had put in her papers following the party’s poor show in the March assembly polls.
Khatri, 61, represents Faizabad in the Lok Sabha and belongs to the traditional Vaish business community.
- Nirmal Khatri appointed UP Congress chief - Aug 28, 2012
- Nirmal Khatri appointed UP Congress chief (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- New UP Congress chief inherits a legacy of failures (News Analysis) - Sep 12, 2012
- Vijay Bahuguna named new Uttarakhand chief minister (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Akhilesh to host Pranab to lunch Tuesday (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- 'Congress to monitor Akhilesh government's performance' - Apr 06, 2012
- Pranab in UP Tuesday to canvass for presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Pranab in UP Monday to scout for support - Jul 02, 2012
- Verma seeks post-poll ties with BSP, Congress terms it personal view (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Mayawati suspends legislator - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: assembly polls, business community, congress committee, congress workers, grassroot level, joshi, khatri, Lok Sabha, loyality, lucknow, new president, nirmal, party government, party ranks, reorganisation, Samajwadi Party, state congress, upcc, uttar pradesh, young blood