UPA wins two Rajya Sabha seats from JharkhandJune 20th, 2009 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 20 (IANS) Jharkhand’s ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Saturday won in by-elections both Rajya Sabha seats from the state, beating the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Dheeraj Sahu of the Congress got 44 votes against the BJP’s Anup Agrawal, who managed to get only 26 votes.
Hemant Soren, son of Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren, defeated Ajay Maroo of the BJP. Soren got 38 votes against Maroo’s 30. Three votes were found invalid.
The Jharkhand assembly has 82 legislators but its current effective strength is 73. Members of state legislatures constitute the electoral college for elections to the Rajya Sabha.
Two legislators - Vinod Singh of Communist Party of India- Marxist Leninist (CPI-ML) and Aparna Sen Gupta of the Forward Block (FB) - did not cast their votes.
One vote was found invalid in the fight between Dheeraj Sahu and Anup Agrawal.
The by-election for both seats took place separately and legislators cast two votes each.
The results indicate that the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) failed to keep its flock together. The BJP and its ally Janata Dal-United (JD-U) have 24 and four legislators respectively.
The two seats in the upper house fell vacant after former external minister and senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha was elected to the Lok Sabha from Hazaribagh in Jharkhand and Digvijay Singh of the JD-U quit his membership to fight the Lok Sabha election as an Independent candidate from Banka of Bihar. He won the election.
- Congress, JMM candidates win Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 17, 2010
- RJD, JD-U hold key to victory in Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 12, 2009
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- UPA steps up efforts to form government in Jharkhand - Jun 21, 2009
- JD-U undecided on supporting BJP in Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 09, 2009
- NDA, UPA gear up for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls Saturday - Jun 19, 2009
- Four candidates in fray for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 10, 2009
- BJP writes to Gadkari on JD-U's cross-voting - Jun 18, 2010
- BJP's alliance partners in Jharkhand to support Pranab - Jul 17, 2012
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll underway, JVM-P stays away - May 03, 2012
- 'Congress MP offered me Rs.25 lakh bribe' - Apr 23, 2012
- BJP undecided over Jharkand by-poll pact - Nov 14, 2011
- Rajya Sabha poll: BJP says Munda government safe - May 02, 2012
- Bihar: JD-U retains Darounda - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: anup agrawal, aparna sen, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, digvijay singh, independent candidate, lok sabha election, maroo, marxist leninist, mukti, national democratic alliance, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, ranchi, sahu, shibu soren, state legislatures, upper house