UPA member MIM in quandary over supporting governmentJuly 8th, 2008 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 8 (IANS) The lone Lok Sabha member of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM), one of the constituents of ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), is yet to decide which way he would vote in parliament when the government faces a trial of strength. As the Left parties withdrew support to the government over the India-US nuclear deal, the Muslim political party began considering its options.
“We have not yet taken a decision. There is still plenty of time,” Hyderabad parliamentarian Asaduddin Owaisi told IANS.
He said the issue would be discussed with party president, who would take a final decision. Asaduddin Owaisi’s father Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi is the president of MIM, which has been winning the Hyderabad Lok Sabha seat for over two decades.
Party sources said the party might abstain to avoid any criticism for either voting for or against the government.
The MIM, which criticised the nuclear deal in the past and cautioned the government against any strategic alliance with the US, may not like to be seen supporting the deal, especially since some parties have been projecting it as ‘anti-Muslim’.
The young MP had on several occasions criticised the government for toeing the US line on the issue of Iran and for voting against Tehran at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
MIM had also staged protests against US President George Bush’s visit to India last March and blamed Bush for the “massacres of Muslims” in Iraq and Afghanistan.
However, it would also be difficult for the MIM to vote alongside the Left parties, its arch rivals in Hyderabad. Both CPI and CPI-M have been trying to challenge MIM’s monopoly in the Andhra Pradesh capital.
If the party votes against the UPA, it could also been seen in its constituency as causing the downfall of a ’secular’ government and helping ‘communal’ forces to make a comeback.
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi attacked, Hyderabad tense (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi injured in firing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi injured in attack; Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM leader Owaisi injured in attack, Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Sangma not allowed to meet Jagan in jail - Jun 25, 2012
- MIM chief urges Muslims to help Assam riots victims - Aug 18, 2012
- MIM not to pursue politics of murder, says Asaduddin Owaisi - May 22, 2011
- After assassination attempt, MIM got strengthened: Asaduddin Owaisi (Interview) - May 18, 2011
- Hyderabad MP urges northeast people to stay - Aug 17, 2012
- MP demands arrest of writers for reading 'Satanic Verses' - Jan 21, 2012
- Arrest writers for reading out 'Satanic Verses': MP (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- Pranab appeals to all Andhra parties to support him (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- MIM wants immediate steps for reservations for Muslims - Sep 25, 2011
- Owaisi seeks action against lax cops for riots - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: arch rivals, atomic energy agency, communal forces, george bush, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, left parties, lok sabha member, massacres, nuclear deal, parliamentarian, party president, party votes, president george bush, progressive alliance, quandary, secular government, strategic alliance, sultan salahuddin