UPA meet Friday may endorse Pranab for presidentJune 14th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) After hectic parleys through the day, the Congress Thursday appeared set to get its United Progressive Alliance (UPA) allies to endorse the candidature of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate.
The Congress’ core committee meeting, chaired by party president Sonia Gandhi and held at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s 7 Race Course Road residence here, virtually decided to back Mukherjee’s candidature.
Clear indications in this regard was available after the meeting, with a senior leader noting that “no dark horse” was under consideration.
At least two senior Congress leaders noted that the announcement on the party’s and the UPA’s candidate for the president’s post will be made Friday after the allies meet and discuss the issue.
The meeting is expected to take place in the morning at the prime minister’s residence.
Gandhi had earlier in the day held one-on-one consultations with Mukherjee himself, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, and Home Minister P. Chidambaram, apart from allies such as Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar and DMK’s T.R. Baalu.
The Congress seems resigned to the fact that Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, who had rejected Mukherjee’s candidature Wednesday after a meeting with Gandhi, would not be on board the UPA’s decision to field the finance minister.
But the leaders were confident that even without the Trinamool, the government was in a position to get its nominee elected to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pranab named for president, trips Mamata with wide support (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Sonia meets Congress leaders, DMK (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pranab is UPA's choice for president (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Presidential poll: No name finalised, says Congress - Jun 09, 2012
- Antony meets Karunanidhi ahead of presidential polls (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
- Pranab will be missed in UPA: DMK - Jul 22, 2012
- Countdown begins, presidential poll on July 19 (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- Congress top brass meets, presidential nominee likely next week - Jun 08, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is UPA's man for president (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Sonia's hectic parleys on presidential choice - Jun 14, 2012
- Antony meets Karunanidhi ahead of presidential polls - Apr 29, 2012
- Speculation on Pranab's candidature grows after Bengal leader's pitch (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Congress readies to pick presidential candidate - May 30, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: candidature, congress leaders, core committee, defence minister, finance minister, home minister, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, parleys, party chief, party president, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, sharad pawar, sonia gandhi, trinamool congress chief