UPA leader will be selected after polls: Pawar (Second Lead)April 23rd, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Baramati, April 23 (IANS) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar Thursday tripped the Congress by saying that the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) will pick its prime minister only after the Lok Sabha election results are known.
Going against the Congress stand that Manmohan Singh will remain the prime minister of any future UPA government, Pawar said that the “election and selection” of the leader of the government would occur after the elections get over May 16.
“Election and selection of the leader will be done collectively by the UPA,” Pawar said in reply to a question whether Manmohan Singh will be the prime minister post polls.
Pawar was speaking in Maharashtra’s Baramati parliamentary constituency where his daughter Supriya Sule is contesting. Pawar is fighting the polls from the Madha constituency.
Asked about UPA partners contesting elections separately, Pawar said: “Those who have been together in UPA might be contesting separately but after the elections we will sit together. We want to work under the UPA umbrella.”
- Selection of UPA leader after polls: Pawar - Apr 23, 2009
- Selection of UPA leader after polls: Pawar (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress - Jul 21, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Intro-Roundup) - Jul 26, 2012
- Widow of MNS legislator joins NCP - Sep 22, 2011
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Pawar mulls quitting electoral politics - Jan 28, 2012
- PM willing to talk to NCP 'on any issue' (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sharad Pawar to contest from Madha - Mar 07, 2009
- Ready to talk to NCP: Manmohan Singh - Jul 25, 2012
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pawar feels dizzy, hospitalized (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation: Pawar - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: elections, lok sabha election, lok sabha election results, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, ncp, parliamentary constituency, polls, prime minister, progressive alliance, reply, sharad pawar, sule, umbrella, UPA