UPA is ‘Ulta Pulta’ Alliance: BJPMay 11th, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) The Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) has turned into an “Ulta Pulta (topsy turvy) Alliance”, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said Monday.
Hours after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh questioned Janata Dal-United leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s secular claims for sharing a dais with Narendra Modi, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said the UPA was a divided house.
“Manmohan Singh looked pessimistic and defeated. The campaign of Congress lacks maturity and no one knows who is saying what. UPA is Ulta Pulta Alliance,” Prasad told reporters.
Earlier in the day, Manmohan Singh told reporters in Ludhiana that “there is no doubt Nitish Kumar professes to be a secular leader”. However, he said, “a doubt arose” after Nitish Kumar and BJP’s Narendra Modi shared a dais during an election rally Sunday.
But Prasad said the Congress was confused, with some leaders praising Nitish Kumar and others criticising him.
“Rahul Gandhi praised Nitish Kumar. He said he (Nitish Kumar) did good work, Sheila Dikshit said the same. But Manmohan Singh said he didn’t do good work and didn’t spend the money the centre gave him. The PM said Nitish is an incompetent chief minister, Rahul says the opposite,” Prasad said.
“It’s not in the DNA of Congress to run a coalition. It believes in the divine right to rule,” he added.
Prasad said the UPA had “collapsed” and the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) “has emerged as the front runner with hope and self confidence”.
“The UPA is an alliance which is non existent and filled with pessimism. I would like to remind the prime minister to look inwards, your house has collapsed like a pack of cards.”
- UPA has 'collapsed like a pack of cards': BJP (Lead) - May 11, 2009
- UPA is an "Ulta Pulta Alliance" - May 11, 2009
- Congress, Left inching closer? (Roundup) - May 11, 2009
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Leave BJP, Lalu tells Nitish - Aug 16, 2012
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Campaigning ends for elections 2009 - May 11, 2009
- Bihar minister dares Nitish to sack him - Jun 20, 2012
- Lalu attacks Nitish over Modi handshake (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Nobody has right to give fatwa on secularism: BJP - Jun 20, 2012
- Congress ready for presidential contest - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS backs Narendra Modi as prime ministerial candidate - Jun 20, 2012
- Stage set for Nitish, Modi to share dais again - Jun 08, 2010
- Modi's absence, talk of PM candidate, cloud BJP meet (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chief minister, dais, divine right, election rally, manmohan, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, nitish kumar, pack of cards, prasad, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, ravi shankar, secular leader, self confidence, sheila dikshit, ulta