UPA coordination panel holds first meetingAugust 9th, 2012 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) The newly set-up coordination committee of the UPA held its first meeting here Wednesday and discussed the drought situation in some states. Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee was not present in the meeting.
Sources said the meeting discussed the issue of better coordination among the UPA allies in the monsoon session of parliament and fuel subsidy.
They said Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar flagged the issue of drought in some states and talked about the government’s response to the situation.
The sources said that UPA coordination committee may regularly meet on the last Friday of every month.
The committee meeting is aimed at discussing “policy and other issues” among the constituents of the UPA government.
The committee is headed by Congress president Sonia Gandhi and includes Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde.
Besides Pawar, Rashtriya Lok Dal chief Ajit Singh, Indian Union Muslim League leader E. Ahamed, and National Conference leader Farooq Abdullah are other members.
Trinamool Congress sources said party chief Banerjee had been invited for the meeting but she could not come due to preoccupation.
They said that Congress leaders were told in advance about Banerjee’s inability to attend the meeting. She may attend the next meeting.
“There is no question of boycott,” a party leader said.
The decision to form the committee was taken last month after Pawar and his party’s minister Praful Patel threatened to pull out of the UPA government after expressing unhappiness over “some aspects of working” of the coalition government.
The NCP’s grouse was that it was “not consulted” on key policy decisions and political appointments.
The party sought a revamp of the coordination mechanism also in Maharashtra where it shares power with the Congress.
- UPA coordination committee to meet Aug 8 (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Mamata attends UPA coordination panel meeting (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Mamata attends UPA coordination panel meet - Aug 22, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress goes into huddle over NCP's stance - Jul 23, 2012
- Ready to talk to NCP: Manmohan Singh - Jul 25, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Intro-Roundup) - Jul 26, 2012
- NCP to stay in UPA but attend no function, skips PM's dinner (Roundup) - Jul 23, 2012
- PM willing to talk to NCP 'on any issue' (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Impasse with Congress could end, signals NCP - Jul 25, 2012
- Mamata to attend UPA coordination panel meeting Aug 22 - Aug 18, 2012
- No ultimatum to Congress, says NCP - Jul 25, 2012
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- UPA still has substantial majority: Congress - Sep 19, 2012
- UPA to meet thrice a week to decide parliament strategy - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: ajit singh, congress leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, coordination committee, coordination mechanism, coordination panel, farooq abdullah, fuel subsidy, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, muslim league, nationalist congress party, p chidambaram, political appointments, praful patel, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sharad pawar, sushilkumar shinde, trinamool congress chief