UPA allies meet to discuss government formationMay 20th, 2009 - 1:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) Two days before the new government is expected to be sworn in, allies of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) met Wednesday to discuss details of government formation and the distribution of cabinet berths.
The meeting at Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s 10 Janpath residence was attended by the entire galaxy of UPA leaders, who have bagged 263 seats in the parliamentary elections.
Amongst those attending from the Congress were Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as well as senior party leaders Pranab Mukherjee, P. Chidambaram, A.K. Antony and general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
The other members of the Congress-led grouping were there in full strength too - Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, DMK’s M. Karunanidhi with grandnephew Dayanidhi Maran, Nationalist Congress Party’s (NCP) Sharad Pawar and Praful Patel and National Conference’s Farooq Abdullah among others.
“We have given unconditional support. The National Conference is an ally of the UPA and hopes to remain an ally of the UPA,” Abdullah told a television channel.
Rebutting reports that his party was demanding ministerial berths, he said they were the designs of “vested interests…to tarnish the image of the National Conference”.
- UPA discusses ministerial berths, endorses Sonia as chairperson (Lead) - May 20, 2009
- UPA discusses ministerial berths, appoints Sonia chairperson (Second Lead) - May 20, 2009
- Manmohan hits home stretch, to take oath as PM Friday (Intro Roundup) - May 20, 2009
- Manmohan hits home stretch, to take oath as PM Friday (Roundup) - May 20, 2009
- Karunanidhi meets Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi - May 19, 2009
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Eyeing cabinet berths, Karunanidhi meets PM, Sonia - May 19, 2009
- NCP and government mend fences, PM praises Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Karunanidhi blames media for Maran's exit - Jul 07, 2011
- Quiet dinner, promises mark UPA-II's second anniversary - May 22, 2011
- I will not let down Maran brothers: Karunanidhi - Oct 11, 2011
- DMK ministers meet Pranab, as discussions on seat sharing continue - Mar 08, 2011
- Congress-DMK talks on seat sharing continue - Mar 08, 2011
- Maharashtra Congress goes into huddle over NCP's stance - Jul 23, 2012
- NCP to stay with UPA, but skip functions: Praful Patel (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, dayanidhi maran, farooq abdullah, government formation, m karunanidhi, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, ministerial berths, nationalist congress party, parliamentary elections, praful patel, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, s farooq, sharad pawar, unconditional support