UPA aims at women’s self reliance: Sonia (Lead)May 11th, 2011 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Rae Bareli (Uttar Pradesh), May 11 (IANS) Stressing on women’s role in nation building, Congress president Sonia Gandhi Wednesday said the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government was making every effort to make women self-reliant for the development of the country.
“Women comprise half of the population… for the country to attain prosperity it is required that this segment (women) should become happy and wealthy. Our society and the country would attain self-reliance in its real sense only when the women are in a position to tackle their problems on their own,” Gandhi told a gathering here.
“Be it in terms of law or welfare policies, our UPA government has been making sincere efforts aimed at women’s self-reliance and empowerment,” she said during a function of Rajiv Gandhi Kishori Sashaktikaran (The Rajiv Gandhi Scheme for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls or Sabla).
Gandhi said that Sabla - a scheme aimed at addressing multi-dimensional problems of girls between 11-18 years - would soon cover the entire country.
She said that due to “social barriers”, girls and women were facing challenges of different kinds.
“Girls hold the future of the country. Considering this, one of the main responsibilities before our government is to secure the future of girls. We must realise the contribution of women in nation building,” she added.
Gandhi spent nearly two hours inspecting the Rail Coach Factory in Lalganj.
She also gave a patient hearing to a group of villagers, who apprised her about their problems.
Gandhi also met some accident victims in the district hospital. Gandhi is on a two-day tour of her constituency to review developmental schemes.
- UPA aims at women's self-reliance: Sonia - May 11, 2011
- Scheme for adolescent girls to be launched in November - Sep 29, 2010
- Scheme for empowering adolescent girls launched - Nov 19, 2010
- One-third HIV cases in age group 15-24: UNICEF report - Feb 25, 2011
- Law to protect women from workplace harassment soon - Oct 28, 2010
- A fair with colour, handicrafts and counselling sessions - Nov 12, 2010
- Budget hike for social sector garners mixed response - Mar 17, 2012
- Budget boost for women, child development programmes - Mar 16, 2012
- India's biggest women's grassroots chain connects to Africa - Jul 09, 2012
- Government to boost sports in northeast: Sonia - Mar 06, 2010
- Development is answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Development answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia Gandhi (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Funds for women and child development hiked 50 percent (Lead) - Feb 26, 2010
- Government calls of early implementation of Women Empowerment Schemes - Oct 28, 2009
- Scheme for empowering girls gets cabinet nod - Aug 16, 2010
Tags: 18 years, accident victims, adolescent girls, coach factory, congress president sonia gandhi, constituency, country women, different kinds, dimensional problems, making every effort, nation building, progressive alliance, prosperity, rae bareli, rajiv gandhi, sabla, self reliance, social barriers, uttar pradesh, welfare policies