UP suspends four officials after violenceJune 26th, 2012 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 26 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government late Monday suspended four senior officials in Pratapgrah district, including the district magistrate and police chief, for laxity in their duty following violence after a gang-rape.
A government spokesman said the District Magistrate Y.K. Bahal, Superintendent of Police O.P. Sager, Circle Officer, Kunda V.S. Rana and Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), Kunda Brahmaprakash have been suspended with immediate effect.
Officials said the four were found wanting in the discharge of their duty after a gang rape was reported from a village in the Kunda area last week. As a fall out of the gang rape, irate villagers set on fire many houses and in the violence that ensued, one person was killed.
Officials said that the government was dissatisfied with the response of the four officials after the rape.
“The officers suspended today (Monday) had failed to react and rise to the situation,” a senior official said told IANS. The state government, facing a serious challenge on the law and order front, through the suspensions, wants to show that laxity in maintaining law and order would not be tolerated, said official sources.
The Akhilesh Yadav government also announced an ex-gratia compensation of Rs.5 lakh for the dead person and Rs.50,000 each for those whose houses were gutted in the violence following the gang rape of a teenaged girl .
The body of the girl was found on Thursday morning. Her autopsy established that she was raped before being killed.
More than 35 houses were burnt by a mob in Aasthan village under Nawabganj police station area of Pratapgarh district late Saturday as the body of the rape victim was being taken for cremation.
The four accused, including a minor boy, were nabbed Friday night and are in custody.
- Magistrate booked for assaulting railway employee - Mar 18, 2010
- Man dies in police custody, three cops suspended - Jun 21, 2010
- Official assaults employee for not opening railway gates - Mar 17, 2010
- Four labourers buried under mound of earth in Haryana - May 17, 2012
- Farmers stir turns violent, top official shot (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Woman killed as lightning strikes UP village - Aug 31, 2012
- 20 policemen deployed at Games sites suspended - Oct 09, 2010
- Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by cops - Nov 29, 2011
- Official withdraws complaint against Himachal legislator - Apr 08, 2010
- Tamil Nadu cops face sexual assault probe - Nov 28, 2011
- Court orders confiscation of former DGP's assets - Feb 01, 2012
- Four get death for gang rape, murder - Jan 04, 2012
- Two Madhya Pradesh officials suspended for police firing - Sep 17, 2009
- Sand mafia kingpin arrested - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: akhilesh yadav, bahal, cremation, dead person, district magistrate, gang rape, government spokesman, lakh, law and order, laxity, police chief, police station, rana, rape victim, rs 50, sager, senior officials, teenaged girl, thursday morning, uttar pradesh government