UP gifts Rs.20 lakh to MLAs for cars, opposition protestsJuly 3rd, 2012 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 3 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh government Tuesday allowed the legislators to withdraw Rs.20 lakh from their development fund to purchase a car, a move that has triggered a political storm in the state with the Congress, BJP and BSP protesting against it.
If all the 402 legislators in the state assembly purchase cars from their local area development (LAD) funds, it will cost the exchequer by Rs.80.60 crore.
The announcement was made by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, was met with stiff protest by opposition benches as MLAs from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Congress and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) opposed the move saying they found the whole decision very strange.
Senior BJP leader and legislator Kalraj Mishra said the party was against the move as the funds were supposed to be used for development of their areas and not for personal use. According to established guidelines for the use of MLA funds, the fund cannot be used for personal use.
Angry at the move, the state unit president of the BJP Laxmikant Bajpayi has shot off a letter to the legislative assembly speaker Mata Prasad Pandey informing that no legislator of the BJP would avail this facility.
BSP’s Swamy Prasad Maurya said this sop for MLAs was not acceptable as it would tarnish their image in the eyes of the people. Each MLA gets Rs.1 crore every year during his/her five year term for development of their respective constituencies.
- Akhilesh withdraws Rs.20 lakh largesse for legislators (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Laxmikant Bajpayi appointed UP BJP president - Apr 13, 2012
- UP legislators to have 3G connectivity - Apr 24, 2012
- Mayawati siphoning development funds to BSP candidates: BJP - Oct 17, 2011
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- BJP plans brain storming session in Agra Aug 5-6 - Jul 30, 2012
- BSP stages walk out over power crisis in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 20, 2012
- Maya's olive branch to Congress on Uttarakhand - Mar 12, 2012
- BSP suspends party MP for indiscipline and fund misuse - Sep 21, 2011
- Pranab responsible for economic mess, says Sangma - Jul 11, 2012
- Mayawati to confine birthday bash to party office - Jan 14, 2012
- Akhilesh withdraws Rs.20 lakh largesse for legislators - Jul 04, 2012
- UP set for hung house, SP on top, BSP out (Third Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Defector BSP legislator disqualified - Oct 17, 2011
- UP assembly opens on stormy note - May 28, 2012
Tags: akhilesh yadav, assembly speaker, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief minister, lakh, laxmikant, legislative assembly, legislator, maurya, opposition benches, opposition protests, political storm, purchase cars, samaj, senior bjp, state assembly, swamy, uttar pradesh government