UP employees asked to strike work against promotion quota billSeptember 4th, 2012 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 4 (IANS) More than 18 lakh Uttar Pradesh government employees have been asked to strike work Wednesday to protest the central government decision to move a constitutional amendment bill for reservations for scheduled castes and scheduled tribes in government job promotions.
The call for the agitation has been given by the Sarvajan Hitay Sanrakshan Samiti (SHSS).
Announcing the statewide protests, SHSS president Shailendra Dubey warned the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government not to present the constitutional amendment bill and threatened of serious repurcussions for both the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) if they went ahead to support it.
“All the parties which support the amendment should be prepared to face the backlash of 80 percent employees of the general category and other backward classes (OBC) in form of vote against them in the forthcoming elections,” Dubey warned.
State employees and officials opposed to the move would hold protests at all district headquarters and the state capital and a massive protest rally has been planned at 3 p.m. in front of the Vidhan Sabha. Emergency services however have been kept out of the stir.
The proposed bill seeks to amend at least four articles of the constitution to enable the government to provide quota in promotions for Scheduled Castes (SCs)/ Scheduled Tribes (STs). The bill is likely to be tabled in parliament on Wednesday or Thursday. Parliament’s monsoon session concludes Friday.
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Amend statute for job promotions to SCs, STs: Mayawati - Apr 30, 2012
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Cabinet approves bill for reservation in job promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- PM to head all-party meet on job promotion quota - Aug 21, 2012
- 'Quashing reservation in promotions goes against SCs, STs' - May 03, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- Lok Sabha passes amended OBC quota bill - May 16, 2012
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: amendment bill, articles of the constitution, bharatiya janata party, castes, district headquarters, dubey, forthcoming elections, government decision, government job, lakh, massive protest, monsoon session, progressive alliance, promotion quota, protest rally, quota bill, repurcussions, shailendra, statewide protests, vidhan sabha