‘Unfortunate’ that terrorists operating from Pakistan: PranabMarch 1st, 2009 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 1 (IANS) External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said it was “unfortunate” that Pakistan is still being used by terrorists to carry out attacks in India.
“We have told Pakistan that terrorists, based in areas under your control, are carrying out attacks in India. Two Pakistani presidents have given commitments that they will not allow such things…. but unfortunately, Pakistani soil is still being used for such activities,” Mukherjee told reporters here.
The senior minister said former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf had assured the then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee that Pakistan would not allow terrorists to operate from their country.
“This was repeated on Sep 24, 2008, by present President Asif Ali Zardari during a meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New York,” Mukherjee said.
“We have told Pakistan that as a responsible nation, you are committed to combating terrorism as party to international and bilateral pacts.”
However, he expressed his happiness at Islamabad’s admission after 26/11 Mumbai attacks that some elements from Pakistan were involved in the carnage.
“But we feel Pakistan should do more and dismantle all terrorist camps there.”
Mukherjee said the four-year long dialogue process with Pakistan was under stress because of the country’s “non-adherence to the solemn commitments made earlier”.
“But we have not stopped the dialogue process,” he said.
- Peace with Pakistan in our interest: Shashi Tharoor (Interview) - Jul 13, 2012
- Will visit Pakistan after action on 26/11: PM - Nov 12, 2011
- Link talks to credible action by Pakistan: BJP - Jul 20, 2010
- PDP welcomes PM's Mohali invite to Pakistani leadership - Mar 26, 2011
- Wikileaks should help evolve consensus on core issues of security - Mar 17, 2011
- Regional peace linked to good ties with India: Nawaz - May 31, 2010
- Potential game-changer: Manmohan yes to Pakistan visit (Roundup) - Apr 08, 2012
- BJP should always respect Vajpayee, says kin - Dec 25, 2011
- Krishna's Pakistan visit deferred, secretary-level talks next week (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- India allows Pakistani team access to 26/11 witnesses - Mar 01, 2011
- India, Pakistan to talk July 15, all issues on table (Roundup) - May 11, 2010
- Mumbai blasts comes ahead of India-Pakistan talks (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Is Pakistan Army hindering peace with India? (Comment) - May 08, 2010
- 'LoC route being misused by big India, Pakistani traders' - Oct 21, 2010
- Pakistan should get over its obsession with India: Daily - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: adherence, bilateral pacts, carnage, combating terrorism, commitments, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, kolkata, manmohan, manmohan singh, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, pranab mukherjee, president pervez musharraf, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, senior minister, terrorist camps, vajpayee, zardari