UN to expand mission in AfghanistanDecember 17th, 2008 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Dec 17 (Xinhua) In its efforts to further support the war-torn country, the UN will expand its mission in Afghanistan, UN Secretary General’s special envoy to Afghanistan Kai Eide said Wednesday.”You will see next year robust UN mission in Afghanistan,” Eide told a press conference here.
“We would open four offices in 2009,” he said without elaborating in which provinces the new offices would be established.
The UN Assistant Mission (UNAMA) headed by Eide which has already established its presence in several relatively peaceful provinces opened its office in Trinkot, the capital of Uruzgan province, in the volatile south couple of months ago.
Kai Eide, who assumed office as the world organisation’s chief special envoy to Afghanistan last April, stressed for strengthening peace, stability and reconstruction process of the war-battered central Asian state.
“My hope is to bring economic development and stability to the Afghan people,” he said.
He also emphasised the importance of the role of Afghan security forces, saying it is essential to expand the Afghan Army as quickly as possible.
- UN to pull staff out of Afghan provinces - Aug 31, 2012
- UN envoy meets Afghan militant group - Mar 25, 2010
- Pakistan, Afghanistan, US hold talks on Afghan peace - Apr 27, 2012
- 'Pak doesn't want Afghanistan to become a theatre of proxy wars' - Dec 24, 2010
- Karzai wants neighbours' closer cooperation for peace - Jun 14, 2012
- UN holds photo exhibit on Afghan women - Mar 10, 2012
- UN to open Liaison office in Syria - Aug 17, 2012
- UN envoy says Pak backs reconciliation bid for peace and stability in Afghanistan - Feb 14, 2011
- 3,021 Afghan civilians killed in 2011: UN - Feb 04, 2012
- Karzai ready for foreign monitors in election watchdog - Mar 13, 2010
- Don't send troops to Afghanistan, Taliban warns Bangladesh - Sep 28, 2010
- Afghanistan seeks early security handover: Karzai - Mar 16, 2012
- More needs to be done in Afghanistan: India to UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Afghan Taliban urged to renounce violence - Jun 30, 2011
- Afghan lawmakers ask Russia for help ahead of US exit - Dec 03, 2011