UN resolution on Libya too hasty, says RussiaMarch 23rd, 2011 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The UN Security Council resolution on Libya was adopted too hastily, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said Wednesday.
The council imposed a no-fly zone over Libya last Friday, allowing “all necessary measures” to protect civilians from attacks on rebel-held towns by the forces of leader Muammar Gaddafi.
“Additional time would have enabled us to more thoroughly and carefully to consider all provisions of the Security Council’s resolution and more closely determine the position of the UN Security Council,” Gatilov said.
Leaders of the US, Britain and France have agreed in a phone conversation that NATO should take the key role in the military operation in Libya.
European Union high representative for foreign affairs and security policy Catherine Ashton confirmed Tuesday that such discussions are ongoing.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said that NATO finished its planning on the no-fly zone and arms embargo enforcement in Libya and all members of the alliance were “committed to meet their responsibilities under the UN resolution to stop the intolerable violence against Libyan civilians”.
The US imposed unilateral sanctions on 14 Libyan companies owned by Libya’s National Oil Corporation, which it sees as “the centerpiece of Libya’s state-owned oil apparatus” and “a primary funding source for the Gaddafi regime”.
Libyan state television has reported that at least 60 civilians have been killed and over 150 wounded in continuing allied air strikes.
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- US will not put ground forces in Libya, says Obama - Mar 26, 2011
- UN lifts no-fly zone over Libya - Oct 28, 2011
- Russia opposes introduction of no-fly zone in Syria - Jul 07, 2012
- NATO campaign aimed at ousting Gaddafi - Russian NATO envoy - May 25, 2011
- Preventing civilian deaths in Libya a priority: Medvedev - Mar 25, 2011
- Robert Gates unaware about no-fly zone's duration in Libya - Mar 28, 2011
- Russia criticises UN chief's defence of Libya action - Dec 23, 2011
- Qatar fighters patrol Libyan air space - Mar 26, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council to discuss conflict settlement in Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- 'Coalition forces paving rebels' way to Libyan oil facilities' - Mar 27, 2011
- Ground operation in Libya could start in April - Mar 26, 2011
- Coalition forces 'strike Gaddafi's home town' : Libyan state TV - Mar 27, 2011
- Medvedev urges security for Russian diplomats in Libya - Mar 19, 2011
- UAE to send 12 planes on Libya mission: Sarkozy - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,