Ulema Council members booked for dishonouring national flagApril 10th, 2009 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 10 (IANS) Five members of the Ulema Council have been booked for dishonouring the national flag during a public meeting in Uttar Pradesh’s Azamgarh district, police said Friday.
The members of the Ulema Council made “insulting comments” about the tricolour in the meeting in the Purarani area of Azamgarh Tuesday, some 300 km from Lucknow, police said.
The district administration Thursday ordered a case to be lodged at the Mubarakpur police station after seeing the video footage of the meeting, police inspector Bhupendra Singh told IANS over phone.
Insulting the national flag is an offence that attracts a maximum sentence of three years with fine, police said.
The Ulema Council has announced its candidates for seven Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh: Ambedkar Nagar, Kanpur, Azamgarh, Lalganj, Jaunpur, Machlishahr and Lucknow.
- Ulema Council's Azamgarh candidate booked for poll code violation - Mar 23, 2009
- Ulema Council convener booked for poll code violation - Mar 26, 2009
- Supporters of SP, Ulema Council clash in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 03, 2010
- Salman Khan booked for assaulting activist - Nov 30, 2011
- Two killed in Uttar Pradesh panchayat polls violence - Oct 22, 2010
- Three Ambedkar statues vandalised in UP - Jul 28, 2012
- Alert sounded in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 02, 2012
- Congress leaders in Azamgarh greeted by black flags - Feb 04, 2010
- Three poachers held with tortoises - Sep 07, 2011
- Tree falls on train, one killed - Aug 15, 2011
- Akhilesh rejigs bureaucracy, 30 officials transferred - Mar 19, 2012
- Aspiring engineer shot dead by two students - Dec 02, 2011
- The 'case' of SP leader's tricolour birthday cake - Oct 19, 2010
- Heat wave kills 16 in UP - Jun 18, 2012
- Youth lynched for killing village head - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: azamgarh district, bhupendra, council members, district administration, district police, insulting comments, kanpur, lok sabha seats, maximum sentence, national flag, offence, police inspector, police station, tricolour, ulema, uttar pradesh, video footage