UDF on course for record win in Kerala (Lead)May 16th, 2009 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 16 (IANS) The Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF) is on course to a stunning victory, having won eight of the 11 Kerala seats for which results had been announced and leading in another eight.
The ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led Left Democratic Front (LDF) had 19 of the 20 seats in the outgoing Lok Sabha. The lone UDF seat was won by Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) candidate E. Ahamed from Ponnani.
The Congress has routed the CPI-M at its strongholds in Kannur and Vadakara. The seats that have already been won by the UDF are Kollam, Idukki, Malappuram, Kannur, Vadakara, Wayanad, Trissur and Chalakudy.
It is leading in Ernakulam, Ponnani, Kottayam, Alappuzha, Mavelikara, Thiruvananthapuram, Pathanamthitta and Kozhikode.
The LDF has won Palakkad, Kasargode, Attingal and is leading in Alathur.
- Kerala LDF's rout is 'birthday gift' from electorate: Congress - May 16, 2009
- Opposition front sweeps polls in Kerala (Third Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Battle lines drawn for Kerala local bodies polls - Oct 21, 2010
- CPI not to renominate sitting MPs from Kerala - Mar 11, 2009
- Congress' Shahnawaz is sixth time lucky in Kerala - May 16, 2009
- Moderate polling in Kerala, election official dies - Oct 23, 2010
- Congress names 16 Lok Sabha candidates from Kerala - Mar 20, 2009
- Prove poll violence charge, demands Kerala home minister - Oct 24, 2010
- Seven 'losers', five debutants in Congress' Kerala list - Mar 20, 2009
- Rajya Sabha elections in Kerala to be held Monday - Jun 22, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala cliffhanger from 'old man' Achuthanandan (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Kerala's opposition welcomes poll dates announcement - Mar 02, 2009
- Poll campaign gains momentum in Kerala - Mar 31, 2011
- Tension within the ranks haunt UDF and LDF too (Kerala Newsletter) - Aug 17, 2012
- Govt.'s move to allow more FDI in agri sector will hurt farmer's interests: Karat - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: ahamed, attingal, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress, CPI, democratic front, iuml, kannur, kottayam, ldf, Lok Sabha, muslim league, pathanamthitta, ponnani, ruling communist party, strongholds, stunning victory, trissur, udf