Uddhav undergoes angioplasty, is ‘absolutely fine’July 20th, 2012 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 20 (IANS) Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray Friday underwent an angioplasty procedure and all three blockages in his arteries were successfully removed after nearly three hours, doctors said.
Besides wife Rashmi and son Aditya, Uddhav’s cousin and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray was also present at the Lilavati hospital where the surgery was conducted.
Uddhav, 51, had been admitted to hospital after chest pain last Monday. An angiography was performed, revealing at least three blockages.
Doctors attending on him said one of the blockages was difficult, while the other two were less complicated to remove, a doctor said.
“The procedure is successful and he (Uddhav) is absolutely fine. He is doing well and his heart is functioning normally. He will be discharged by Sunday,” said Samuel Mathews, one of the doctors operating on Uddhav.
“He is fully conscious. Immediately after the procedure, he spoke to Balasaheb (on phone) and then with his family members,” he added.
The implications of Uddhav’s health condition are a matter of concern for his family and the Shiv Sena as well as its allies Bharatiya Janata Party and Republican Party of India.
With Raj and Uddhav coming close after the health crisis, political circles here are discussing the possibility of new permutations and combinations emerging.
However, both Shiv Sena and Raj Thackeray have dismissed any political fall-out of the two cousins coming together, insisting that it was purely out of family considerations.
The team of doctors conducting the angioplasty on Uddhav is the same that had done the procedure on his father Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray in July 2009.
- Uddhav Thackeray in hospital for angioplasty - Jul 20, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray to leave hospital Monday - Jul 22, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray to undergo angioplasty Friday - Jul 20, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray discharged after angiography (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Uddhav visits father in hospital - Jul 28, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray discharged from hospital - Jul 23, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray had chest pain since four days - Jul 17, 2012
- Bal Thackeray discharged from hospital - Aug 01, 2012
- Bal Thackeray stable, to be discharged - May 14, 2012
- Bal Thackeray hospitalised - Jul 24, 2012
- Raj-Uddhav Thackeray 'bonhomie' fuels political speculation - Jul 16, 2012
- Quiet, private 52nd birthday for Uddhav - Jul 27, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray admitted to Lilavati after chest pain - Jul 16, 2012
- Sena chief Bal Thackeray discharged after cardiac surgery - Jul 12, 2009
- Uddhav joins Thackeray clan hot excahnge of words - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: angiography, angioplasty procedure, arteries, bal thackeray, blockages, chest pain, executive president, family considerations, health condition, health crisis, last monday, lilavati hospital, maharashtra navnirman sena, mathews, permutations and combinations, political circles, raj thackeray, rashmi, sena chief, shiv sena