Uddhav Thackeray spars with cousin Raj over flyover issueDecember 7th, 2011 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 7 (IANS) In an indirect attack at Raj Thackeray, Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray Wednesday questioned how people who had demanded relaxation of norms for cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar’s dream bungalow were now criticising singers Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle over the Peddar Road flyover issue.
“All citizens are equal before the law. But some people demanded extra FSI (floor space index) for Sachin Tendulkar’s bungalow even though it did not fit into the government’s rules,” Uddhav said in a statement here, without naming his estranged cousin and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief, who had made such a demand.
Uddhav also took umbrage at “these people” for criticizing national icons from the state like Lata, Asha and Sachin and tarnishing their image before the world.
“These icons have brought name, fame and honour to the country’s sports and culture arena on the world stage and at least politicians from Maharashtra should refrain from spoiling their name,” he said, urging an end to this muck-raking against these icons.
Uddhav’s statement came in response to Raj Thackeray’s criticism of Lata and Asha whose opposition has delayed the much-awaited Peddar Road flyover in south Mumbai to end traffic snarls.
The MNS chief had warned that unless the government constructs a flyover on Peddar Road, his party would not permit the construct work of any other flyover in the city or the state.
His stance came following the state government’s plans to drop the flyover at Peddar Road and instead compensate by constructing two flyovers nearby - one at Haji Ali junction and another at Cadbury Company junction, both in the vicinity.
A high-level delegation including top office-bearers of the party, its women’s wing, legislators and others met Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Tuesday and urged him to initiate steps to construct the long-pending Peddar Road flyover.
Playing safe, Chavan said that “no final decision” has been taken on the issue so far.
- NCP minister bats for Pedder Road flyover - Dec 08, 2011
- Raj warns against stalling flyover due to Lata's objection - Dec 06, 2011
- Raj Thackeray attacks Maharashtra government on toll tax - Jun 12, 2012
- Raj Thackeray backs Sachin's gym plans - Feb 22, 2011
- Maharashtra may review road toll policy - Aug 10, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Bharat Ratna for Sachin, recommends Maharashtra assembly - Apr 05, 2011
- Lata felicitated on father's death anniversary - Apr 25, 2011
- Raj Thackeray asks people to stop paying toll tax - Jul 24, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Defiant MNS asks Mumbai residents not to pay toll tax - Jul 29, 2012
- Maharashtra 'netas' play politics over Little Master - Apr 27, 2012
- Uddhav, Raj part soon after joining mill workers' cause (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Elections will see communal parties losing relevance: Chavan - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: cadbury, chavan, chief minister, dream bungalow, executive president, floor space, flyovers, haji ali, level delegation, mns, national icons, raj thackeray, s sports, sachin tendulkar, shiv sena, south mumbai, space index, spars, traffic snarls, world stage