Tytler, Sajjan remain sorry facet of 1984 Sikh riots: BJPApril 9th, 2009 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday said that denying the Lok Sabha poll tickets to Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar would not solve the 1984 riots case, and demanded trial of the two Congress leaders for their alleged involvement in the 1984 anti-Sikh violence.
The Congress dropped Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar as its Lok Sabha candidates in the wake of protests by Sikh groups.
“The Congress has been compelled to drop them due to the adverse fallout all over the country. But the fundamental issue remains they (Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar) must be tried,” BJP spokesman Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
“Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler are two unfortunate facets of 1984 anti-Sikh riots. Tickets is not the matter, they should be booked,” Prasad said.
Prasad said Sikhs were feeling a great sense of injustice and suffering for the past 25 years.
He also slammed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for allegedly leaking the closure report to Jagdish Tytler.
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Tytler seeks clarification from home ministry over 1984 riots - Dec 15, 2009
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- After protests, Congress drops Tytler, Sajjan Kumar (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2009
- BJP demands punishment for guilty in anti-Sikh riots - Nov 03, 2010
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- CBI seeks permission to prosecute Tytler, Sajjan Kumar: Chidambaram - Dec 14, 2009
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI seeks dismissal of case against Tytler - Jul 24, 2010
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told - Feb 16, 2012
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: 1984 sikh riots, anti sikh riots, bharatiya janata party, cbi, central bureau of investigation, closure report, congress leaders, facet, facets, fallout, fundamental issue, injustice, jagdish tytler, lok sabha poll, New Delhi, prasad, ravi shankar, sajjan kumar, sikh, sikhs