Two MCD officials suspended over dirty public toiletsMay 27th, 2009 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Two officials of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) were suspended Wednesday after a surprise check by Commissioner K.S. Mehra in central Delhi revealed dirty public toilets and heaps of garbage at many places.
The MCD commissioner Mehra ordered the immediate suspension of Khalid Minhaz, assistant engineer (electric) and S.P. Jain, assistant sanitary inspector of the city zone (central Delhi).
Mehra took action against the erring officials after he found that the condition of sanitation and toilet complexes in central Delhi were abysmal.
“He found that overall sanitary condition was very poor. Heaps of garbage were lying here and there. The community toilet complexes (CTC) and public urinals presented a pathetic sight. The supervisory officer could not give an explanation for the poor state of sanitary condition. So the two officials were suspended with immediate effect,” MCD spokesperson Deep Mathur said.
“At one of the CTCs at Asaf Ali Road, near Ram Lila Ground, the electric motor pump had been lying out of order for about four months. As a result, the CTC was non-functional. The squatters nearby had converted it into their temporary residence,” Mathur added.
According to the city zone sanitation superintendent Kishan Lal, the engineer had not got the motor pump repaired and the CTC had become dysfunctional.
- Flowers, gardens to cover Delhi's sanitary landfill - Jul 21, 2010
- Hello, This Is Nature's Call From A Garbage Heap! - Apr 07, 2012
- Principal, 18 teachers of MCD schools suspended - Nov 27, 2010
- MCD seeks more time to enquire on building collapse - Nov 20, 2010
- Delhi's new mayor out to clean the capital - Apr 28, 2011
- Garbage problems? Log on to MCD's Facebook page via mobile - Apr 01, 2011
- Hygiene in Delhi: Court notice to civic agencies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- MCD to launch cleanliness drive, backs NGO initiative - Sep 05, 2010
- CWG Village officials deny reports of condoms clogging drains - Oct 07, 2010
- Nirmal Gram: Bringing a cleanliness revolution to India's villages - Jun 06, 2011
- Seven killed when building collapses in Old Delhi, India - Sep 28, 2011
- How they kept Ramlila Maidan clean -- only for Anna! - Aug 28, 2011
- Delhi civic agency hastens to clean drains - Jun 06, 2009
- Used condoms clog Delhi CWG athletes' village toilets - Oct 07, 2010
- Delhi's own Venice? It's sewage and stinks - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: assistant engineer, central delhi, city zone, ctcs, heaps, kishan, lal, mathur, mehra, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, pathetic sight, public toilets, s p jain, sanitary condition, sanitation superintendent, squatters, supervisory officer, temporary residence, urinals