Two killed in Yemen protestsMarch 24th, 2011 - 8:44 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, March 24 (IANS) At least two people were shot dead and nine injured during clashes between anti-government protesters and supporters of President Ali Abdullah Saleh in southern Yemen, Xinhua reported Thursday.
The fighting erupted Wednesday night after nearly 200 protesters gathered at downtown Al-Maafir city, some 20 km south of Taiz city, to protest a blackout, Abdul-Qawi al-Ezzani, a witness, said.
“The protesters then headed to the location of the electrical generator and attempted to turn it on, but scores of government backers, including policemen in plain clothes, repelled the protesters and opened fire at them, killing two people and injuring nine,” al-Ezzani told Xinhua by phone.
Last week, the protesters took over all government and security facilities of Al-Maafir, but security forces managed to regain control.
Dozens of people have been killed in government crackdowns on the anti-government demonstrations which have shaken Yemen since Feb 11.
Encouraged by the uprising sweeping the region, Yemenis have been demanding an end to Saleh’s 32-year rule as well as political and economic reforms.
- 16 protesters killed in Yemen (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- 19 killed, hundreds injured in clashes across Yemen - May 12, 2011
- 29 protesters killed in police firing in Yemen(Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Protests rattle major cities across Yemen - Apr 14, 2011
- Seven protesters killed in Yemeni capital - Mar 18, 2011
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011
- Yemen reinforces security as toll rises to 51 - Mar 20, 2011
- Yemen beefs up security to enforce emergency rule (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Emergency declared in Yemen, 41 killed in police firing (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Emergency declared in Yemen, 41 killed in police firing (Third Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- 10 protesters shot dead in Yemen - Apr 04, 2011
- 11 protesters killed by security forces in Yemen - Apr 05, 2011
- 400 demonstrators injured in Yemen clashes - Apr 05, 2011
- Yemeni minister resigns over killing of protesters - Mar 20, 2011
- Yemen's top army generals join protesters - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: ali abdullah saleh, backers, blackout, clashes, control dozens, demonstrations, economic reforms, electrical generator, plain clothes, policemen, president ali abdullah saleh, protesters, protests, security facilities, security forces, southern yemen, uprising, wednesday night, witness, xinhua