Two killed in West Bengal poll violence (Second Lead)April 30th, 2009 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 30 (IANS) Two civilians were killed and a paramilitary trooper was injured Thursday when landmines, planted by suspected Maoist guerrillas to disrupt elections, went off in West Bengal’s Maoist-affected districts.
Two civilians were killed in a landmine explosion targeting poll officials, who were returning from a forest area in the violence-hit West Midnapore district in the evening, Inspector General (Law and Order) Raj Kanojia told IANS.
“The police have already reached the spot and are investigating the matter. We’re constantly in touch with our men out there. The blast took place near Jamboni area in the district,” Kanojia said.
The blast occurred between Dahijuri and Baroshal, two Leftist insurgency-hit areas.
The landmine was triggered when a convoy of poll officials, escorted by police and paramilitary troopers, was passing through Kapaguri forest region.
A central paramilitary force trooper was injured in a low-intensity landmine blast in Balrampur area in the Maoist-hit Purulia district. The landmine exploded near a polling station.
“The jawan was injured in his leg,” Kanojia said.
Another landmine was defused by the police at Raidibera area of Purulia district.
Purulia, West Midnapore and Bankura are the three Maoist-affected districts located in western part of the state.
- Three killed in West Bengal poll violence (Third Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Two landmine blasts in West Bengal on poll day (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Maoist hideout busted, explosives seized in Bengal - Apr 01, 2011
- One injured in landmine blast in West Bengal - Apr 30, 2009
- Heavy voting in Maoist heartland as Bengal polls end (Roundup) - May 10, 2011
- Brisk voting in fifth round of Bengal polls (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Maoists regrouping in Bengal: Police - Jul 05, 2011
- Brisk polling in fifth round of Bengal elections (Third Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Tight security, high voter turnout in Maoist heartland (Third Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Top Maoist leader killed in West Midnapore encounter - Mar 11, 2011
- Bengal's Maoist heartland votes in huge numbers (Fourth Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Polling ends in Bengal, 83 percent votes cast - May 07, 2011
- Maoists trigger landmine explosion, no one injured - Jul 27, 2010
- 83 percent votes cast in Bengal fifth phase (Roundup) - May 07, 2011
- Chidambaram, Buddhadeb review anti-Maoist operations (Lead) - Apr 03, 2010
Tags: bankura, civilians, convoy, elections, forest area, forest region, guerrillas, intensity, jawan, landmine explosion, law and order, maoist, midnapore district, paramilitary force, poll violence, polling station, west bengal