Two killed in police firing in JammuAugust 12th, 2008 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 12 (IANS)Two people were killed and several injured Tuesday as the police opened fire in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kishtwar town to contain a communal clash as crowds defied curfew to pour into the streets to fight pitched battles and loot shops. The two communities clashed and indulged in arson in complete defiance of curfew restrictions imposed in the Muslim majority town Monday night following escalating tension in the Kashmir Valley where a Hurriyat Conference leader and four others were killed in police firing, the police said.
“The situation was slipping out of hand and the police had to open fire in which at least two people — Mohammad Maqbool and Abdul Aziz — were killed. A few others were injured,” an official told IANS.
Curfew was imposed Monday night after two Hindu houses were torched and mobs pelted stones while shouting anti-government slogans, he said.
However, the situation in the rest of Jammu province was calm.
A 12-hour curfew relaxation has been on since 5 a.m and there have been no reports of any untoward incident.
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar, FIR against Mirwaiz (Lead) - Sep 12, 2010
- Four injured as Police fire teargas shells on stone-pelters in Srinagar - Aug 16, 2010
- Two dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Day after clash, tension in Bharatpur continues - Sep 15, 2011
- Woman killed in Kashmir firing, toll reaches 102 (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2010
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011
- Curfew in Kashmir village after clashes - Aug 07, 2012
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Pak asks world to take notice of HR violations in Kashmir - Jun 29, 2010
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- 25 including 11 cops wounded in fresh Kashmir violence (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: abdul aziz, arson, conference leader, crowds, defiance, hindu, hurriyat conference, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, kishtwar, loot, maqbool, mobs, mohammad, monday night, muslim majority, pitched battles, slogans, untoward incident