Two Indian farmers commit suicide every hour: CPI-M leaderApril 24th, 2011 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, April 24 (IANS) Two farmers are committing suicide every hour in India while the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government is busy serving the interests of foreign and domestic corporates, a senior Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader said Sunday.
“In each hour, at least two farmers are killing themselves after they have lost their crops and find no alternative ways of livelihood,” said S. Ramachandran Pillai, president of CPI-M farmer’s wing, the All India Kisan Sabha (AIKS).
“During the past ten years, over 200,000 farmers in India have forced to commit suicide after they lost their wealth in farming due to wrong and anti-farmers policies of the central government,” said Pillai, who is also a politburo member, at a gathering here.
Quoting a government survey report, Pillai said that in 1990, 22 percent of people were landless in India and now the figure has risen to 36 percent.
“In the 1990s, contribution of agriculture in India’s GDP was 32 percent and it has come down to 15.7 percent in 2009-10,” Pillai told the gathering, organised by the AIKS as part of its all India movement in support of several demands, including modification of British-era Land Acquisition Act, 1894.
He demanded the government confiscate the crores of black money deposited by some Indians in foreign banks and use them for the welfare of people and development of the rural part of the country.
Terming the new Seed Act a draconian law, he said that the proposed law would curb the right of the farmers and seed-related policies would be controlled by the US and other imperialist countries.
- CPI-M plans agitation against land acquisition act - Apr 22, 2011
- UPA's policies will cause more farmers' suicides: CPI-M - Aug 29, 2009
- Banerjee admits debt-ridden farmers contemplate suicide - Jun 01, 2012
- BJP wing to hold Kisan parliament in Delhi Saturday - May 11, 2012
- CPI-M blames Congress, Trinamool for Bengal farmer suicides - Jan 06, 2012
- CPI-M counters Mamata claim on farmer suicides - Jan 19, 2012
- Buddha slams Mamata government for farmer suicides - Jan 22, 2012
- BJP plans farmers' parliament in Delhi May 12-13 - Apr 14, 2012
- Mamata forms experts committee on land policy - May 30, 2011
- Farmer's suicides: BJP calls government a 'murderer' - May 02, 2012
- Cabinet approves additional amendments to Seeds Bill - Oct 20, 2010
- Karat slams farmer suicides in Mamata rule - Jan 18, 2012
- Opposition parties vow to carry on struggle for Andhra farmers (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- CPI-M leader injured in collision - Aug 18, 2011
- CPI-M slams Mamata government over farmer suicides - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: agartala, agriculture in india, black money, committing suicide, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, crores, domestic corporates, draconian law, foreign banks, government survey, imperialist countries, india movement, indian farmers, kisan sabha, land acquisition act, new seed, pillai, politburo member, progressive alliance