Two GJM workers killed in police firing in Bengal (Lead)February 8th, 2011 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri (West Bengal), Feb 8 (IANS) Two Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists, including a woman, were killed in the Dooars area of West Bengal Tuesday in police firing after they clashed with police. Fifteen security personnel were also injured.”Two GJM supporters died in the police firing. Police started firing after some male GJM supporters attacked a lady police constable with khukris (traditional Nepali knife) and wanted to violate the prohibitory order (ban against assembly of five or more people) that was imposed in Dooars,” Inspector General of Police (North Bengal) R. Kumar said.
“Fifteen police personnel were also injured in the clashes,” Kumar added.
The clashes started when illegal camps set up by the GJM in the Shipchu area of a reserve forest were demolished by the police early Tuesday.
“One male and one female supporter of the GJM died in the police firing. The GJM supporters tried to break the prohibitory order and they also attacked a lady constable. She received severe injuries on her neck and head,” Additional Director-General (Law and Order) Surajit Kar Purkayastha said.
“First, police resorted to lathi charge, but when the situation became uncontrollable, police had to open fire. The situation is under control now,” he added.
- GJM calls indefinite shutdown in hills - Feb 09, 2011
- Two GJM workers injured in police firing in Bengal - Feb 08, 2011
- West Bengal government seeks Army deployment in Darjeeling - Feb 09, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Darjeeling for sixth day - Feb 14, 2011
- Darjeeling violence: West Bengal CM Bhattacharjee appeals for peace - Feb 09, 2011
- Shutdown disrupts life in Darjeeling hills - Feb 09, 2011
- GJM supporters go on rampage in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars evokes mixed response - Apr 23, 2012
- Day 4 of Darjeeling shutdown: Interlocutor meets officials - Feb 12, 2011
- Violent clashes, arson mark shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Day 3 of shutdown in Darjeeling, tension continues - Feb 11, 2011
- Trucks torched, Gorkhaland demand intensifies in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Darjeeling peaceful, but shutdown disrupts life - Feb 10, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Darjeeling for sixth day (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- High alert in West Bengal after Varanasi blast - Dec 07, 2010